We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Britomart/University of Auckland area Restaurant Recs

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Britomart/University of Auckland area Restaurant Recs

We will be visiting our daughter in October who is studying at the University of Auckland and want to treat her to some nice dinners. Any recommendations for restaurants at the Britomart, Viaduct or spots near the University? We love seafood and fish, ethnic food and would like to try some traditional NZ fare. Also looking for a mix of nicer restaurants and some that are more budget conscious. Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
882 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Britomart/University of Auckland area Restaurant Recs

There are lots of great places popping up around there, I guess it depends what kind of food you're after.

Mexico and Orleans are both in Britomart and they're great. Mexico is mexican food, Orleans is Southern American (just recently opened.) The Britomart Country Club is good.

Degree in the Viaduct is pretty decent. I would recommend the restaurants in Wynyard Quarter too - Marvel Grill. Urban Turban on North Wharf for Indian food...

For really nice meals, Eight at the Langham is incredible. Something for everyone. Mikano is another of my favourites but that's a little further out.

Hope that helps a little? My absolute favourites are Eight and Mikano - they're where I'd get my parents to take me out for dinner whenever they visited me at university!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Britomart/University of Auckland area Restaurant Recs

Thanks so much. Eight looks great for our splurge restaurant! Mikano also looks great. Is it possible to take a ferry or other public transportation there? Also, any suggestions about spots in Posonby?

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
882 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Britomart/University of Auckland area Restaurant Recs

Eight is definitely a treat! It's not super easy to get to Mikano via public transport, the best bet would most likely be a cab unless you were okay with switching busses....

As for Ponsonby, it depends what you're after. I really love Fatima's which is half way down Ponsonby Road, but it's more a hole in the wall place that makes wraps, salads etc. It's really delicious but it's not a place for sit down dinners.

Ponsonby has some delicious places. I love Sawadee Thai, Prego, GPK, Bambina, SPQR - you can walk down Ponsonby road and take your pick, there are heaps of restaurants down there :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Britomart/University of Auckland area Restaurant Recs

Definitely check out Parnell as well.

Easily reached on the Inner & Outer Link busses for $1.90.

The Windsor has a great range of tap beers and very reasonably priced meals.

If you like Thai, Blue Elephant is a must.

Chocolate Boutique is a great stop for dessert.

In the CBD if you like Japanese, head to Kushi on Durham St - very good value and fresh, authentic meals. They have a great lunch special.

In Ponsonby check out the salads at Dizengoff.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Britomart/University of Auckland area Restaurant Recs

I'm building a nice little file of restaurants! Thanks so much for your input.

6. Re: Britomart/University of Auckland area Restaurant Recs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 18, 2014