We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

HI

I have a 7 y old boy that loves the speed and wants to do something FuN in auckland where we will stay for 2 days. I know on day 2 we will go with some frients to Waiheke island and possibly try the zip line there, but on the first day , ( we arrive 7 am and will be staying at Skycity hotel) I gotta think of something fun to do ...and I would appreciate some ideas for a 2-3 hr fun. (not a whole day activity)

No theme parks, NO zoo, and no crowds, I know I will be severely jet lagged but I am looking for some fun ride or downhill mountain biking, or a speed car/whatever ride. ..something that will keep him awake and excite him........or some other idea

I was looking for luge as well but had not found one (I guess it closed!?)

so PLEASE help if you have any ideas

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

Here's a mountain bike place: http://www.bikeparks.co.nz/. There is also Snowplanet north of Auckland, which is an indoor ski facility. There will also be plenty of go karting places around if that interests him.

Too bad he's too young for the bungy off the Skytower.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

See also planmyplay.co.nz/Default.aspx… for ideas. But he may be too young or too short for some of them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

Thanks so much for the ideas...yes he is most likely either too young or too short of both for some thrill searching activities....

so I will check into the bike park

as for skiing, I saw that one already but I thought is wasn't too high ........

thanks again for all ideas.....

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,158 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

Mission Bay which is a short 10 minute bus journey from downtown has hire bikes and tandems. This is a great activity using the waterfront cycle lane - http://www.missionbaybikehire.co.nz/, & http://www.missionbay.co.nz/?s1=Local Attractions

To find bus routes - check this site: http://www.maxx.co.nz/ - A good option is to take the city circuit bus that travels from Skycity hotel (Federal St) and stops at Britomart Travel Centre on its route. Get a Mission Bay bus from there.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

The luge is open - but it is Rotorua - where the best mountain bike trails in the world are!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

Frangipani 08, thanks so much for the ideas. I was anyway looking for a good place for the deserts and found one in Britomart - milse- so that may be a stop station before the mission bay....

I also checked with Woodhill mountain bike park and they do have equipment rental for 8 year old...but it seams it is rather far away from the hotel and I would need to figure out how to transport us to there and back

Frangipani, i see you are expert for Waihake island - we planned to to there the following day with another family with 2 kids....and I was wondering what you would recommend for kids fun there.....is it better to rent bikes or go by foot? and I saw they had zip lines and wineries ....so fun for everyone... My question is - how big is the island and can we do multiple activities for the day or just choose one ....?

Thanks big_ian for the luge info, We did that in Rotorua a few years ago and it was loads of fun

Now I justa have a 2 day overlay in Auckland and need something local to the city :)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,158 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

Getting to Woodhill Forest will involve catching a Helensville bus. It is a considerable distance from the CBD, and the bus schedule won't be frequent. You'd be best to seek out activities closer to town in this respect.

One option for Auckland attractions is Western Springs with its MOTAT museum, tram-line, attractive spring lake and parkland adjacent to Auckland Zoo. Take a bus from Britomart for Pt Chevalier, New Lynn, Henderson (via New Lynn). Western Springs is a 10 minute ride from downtown.

Waiheke Island is reasonably large. The far end facing Coromandel Peninsula is remote farmland including wineries that is off the beaten track. The developed localities closer to Auckland is where most visitors venture to, having easy access to beaches, villages and the bus routes. Biking on Waiheke isn't so easy for children due to the hills. Activities are spread out rather than being in a common area. The ferry-bus transport options are well organised. With children in your group, this would be the better option.

There are electric bikes for hire in Ostend (near the Saturday market site). But I don't have information about the operator or their level of service. If it's a showery day when you visit, Whittakers Music Museum in Oneroa is an interesting and entertaining attraction. Oneroa is a delightful seaside village with good facilities including shops and cafes, while the bay itself is good for swimming, strolling, picnicing and relaxing by.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

Thanks so much frangipani for giving me an idea about Waiheke island, now I can plan better that day as well...your tips are very useful

9. Re: Downhill biking for kid and more kids fun ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 11, 2014