We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

Honolulu, Hawaii
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

Aloha, Does anyone know which car rental companies at the Auckland airport , if any, let you choose your own car from the category you have booked. I love this option, and it will totally sway my decision if I know this we can pick from the lot.

Many many thanks!!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

What do you mean by choose your car? Do you want to walk around a car yard containing two hundred cars and choose the right coloured red one or do you want a particular blue? This could create a problem if the company fleet is white. Apex are the rental car company I use and recommend and too date have never been disappointed with the car offered in a particular category nor its quality.

Honolulu, Hawaii
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

Yes, this is how it works at many locations I rent from (in the U.S). I choose from about 20 cars, not hundreds, in the class in which I have reserved. I typically use Alamo, and no, it's not the color I'm concerned with. I don't particularly care for "new" cars, as I drive a 1954. I step into a rental and can't believe how poor the visibility is in most of them. Anyhow, I won't bore you with the things that I like or don't like. I just was hoping to find a company that has this liberal and friendly arrangement in which I can choose between available models.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
327 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

You will find nowadays that health and safety regulations prohibit you from wandering around car rental carparks trying to choose a car at your leisure

Honolulu, Hawaii
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it!

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
611 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

I have also experienced this option in the USA, like Dallas airport ..."pick any car from row B" etc...but I don't think you can expect it where lower numbers of cars in each category are held.

I too can vouch for Apex being trouble free for us - and they include pick up at Auckland airport for short trip to their modern depot in the airport precinct. If price is not a factor, then all the big brands are on-site too, with newer cars.

Edited: 7:46 pm, July 18, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

I see OP is from the US and last time we where there, we were told by the car rental agency (Budget or Thrifty) to go check out the cars in a particlar row and let them know which one we want and we picked out the car that was not red (dont like red cars)

Weird yes but maybe the norm for them. My experience in Australia and NZ is you get your keys and thats your car. You can ask at checkin if there are options and if yes, they will change/upgrade if available

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

This is the same at Heathrow.

Honolulu, Hawaii
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

Thank you! good info :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

Thankyou, i read some older bad reports from 2011 about Apex car rental but after reading your recent comments have decided their the go. Thankyou

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auckland Airport Car Hire Car Rental

We have used Jucy rentals a number of times and had no problems - they are also cheaper than Apex.