We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hangi In Auckland City Area ????

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hangi In Auckland City Area ????

I have been looking all over the internet..even asked our hotel.....we would like to go to a Hangi/traditional dance night, we are only in Auckland from the 29th April 13 leaving 01 May 13 after a cruise so would like to go to a Hangi on the 30th April 13, in Auckland, have already been to Rotarua so would like to go to a Hangi in Auckland due to time restraints, did a Luau in Hawaii and loved it. Is there ANYWHERE in Auckland City Area that has a Hangi.......

Auckland
Level Contributor
242 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hangi In Auckland City Area ????

Kia ora, The "hub" of Maori Culture is in Rotorua, geared for tourists to experience all things including the hangi, so, did you not experience a hangi in Rotorua? (one in another part of the country is likely to be quite similar).

There is a shop in south Auckland which *sells* hangi food http://www.hangishop.co.nz/index.htm (but I get the feeling you want the "experience" of this event, is that correct?)

Please be aware of the Food Safety Laws if you choose to eat at non-commercial venues as there are NO Laws around handling/preparation or storing of food if the food is "included" in like a tour etc. (This is the reason why I do differentiate our business as being Food Handling Certified!)

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hangi In Auckland City Area ????

Thanks MURIWAIDONNA Yes you are correct we are after the whole experience, last time we were in NZ we were only in o/n after a cruise so just hired a car & did Hells Gate, fish n chips with deep fried Mars Bars on the beach.....this time again it will be after a cruise but staying 2 nights 1 night will be for a 21st birthday then they fly back to Aus the next morning... we are there for another night so would luuuuuuuv to go to a Hangi...but unless we can get a package with transport to and from Auckland, Rotarua is too far. Thanks again for your reply and I have taken onboard your advice. Def would like to do a tour.

3. Re: Hangi In Auckland City Area ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 10, 2014