We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire -preplan or wing it?

dublin ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
car hire -preplan or wing it?

We arrive in Auckland ~ 23rd october for 5 weeks and plan to drive through both islands, subsequently departing Christchurch. Our conundrum at the moment is do we prebook our car hire (probably on the net) and have peace of mind knowing that it is all arranged, or do we do what a collegue of mine suggests and wait until we arrive and book it cheaper from say an advertisement on a hostel notice board. We will be a few days in Auckland and should have the time to do this if responses (if any!) are favourable.

Thanks in advance

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire -preplan or wing it?

lesha- check out this thread for further car rental information, I think you would be better to organise once you're here in NZ, possibly better rates and you have a bit of time up your sleeve. You are also arriving on a public holiday- Labour Day so things may be a bit quiet around town.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255104-i125-k5995…

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire -preplan or wing it?

I think you have to ask yourself first: Is any type of car ok, or do you want a particular type of car? If you will accept any type of car, then you can wing it, and eventually you will get a car. Otherwise, book in advance to secure a particular type of car.

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire -preplan or wing it?

My advise would be to arrange online before you come. I don't think you will gain much by waitiong til you get here.

Try one of Nz's budget rental companies (Apex, Pegasus or Ezy)

They all have websites and you can book online.

A Basic car should be about $30 per day, maybe cheaper if you are doing a 5 week rental

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
110 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire -preplan or wing it?

Aside from Labour Weekend (aka Bank Holiday) at the end of October you will have no trouble hiring a car and booking accomodation as you go. However you can find cheap car rentals on the net so you probably wouldn't gain anything. However I definitely recommend you choose accommodation as you go so you have a better idea of location.

dublin ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire -preplan or wing it?

Thank you all so much for your responses...I think we shall go for the online option. These forums are great I have posted two questions and gained some excellent advice.

P.S. Enjoy your Labour Day.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire -preplan or wing it?

Lesha .....We were in NZ last year .Feb 05 and prebooked thru a discount outfit ...... was a bit stressful .............We are going again in Feb 07 and again prebooked ..thru ...OMEGA ... this tiem ....on reference from freinds ............ we have booked two separate contracts and they gave us the full month rate ..( we ski[p to Aus in middle of trip)... The reference was great and so far online communications with them has been great ........Also check for ..drop off at location other than pick upp.sometimes additional charges .... .. Enjoy your trip we did and are returning ........ Marvie ... from Canada ...

7. Re: car hire -preplan or wing it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 15, 2009