We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland and Rotorua

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake in the Hills...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Auckland and Rotorua

I hope someone can give me some good advise. I am flying into Auckland and then picking up a hiking tour in Rotorua a day and 1/2 later. I am trying to decide if I should get a car or not- I would really rather not. Several questions ...

*Easiest best way to get to central Auckland hotel from the airport?

*Best location hotel so I can walk around and see some sights on my Auckland day. (female /traveling alone so I need a nice safe area)

Best way to get to Rotorua to meet up with my tour.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me some advise.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland and Rotorua

There's an airport bus that runs regularly into the city. There are also coaches that go between Auckland and Rotorua - look at Intercity and Naked Bus.

Auckland
Level Contributor
57 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland and Rotorua

Auckland City is spreadout and can be difficult to get around because of its size. I'd suggest you head for the Sky Tower, this will give you a 360 degree view of the greater Auckland. However I'd suggest you only do this if its fine otherwise you'll be looking at clouds.

skycityauckland.co.nz/Attractions/Skytower.h…

The other place to visit is downtown, http://viaduct.co.nz/.

Here you can explore Aucklands water front and have some nice places to eat and tourist shops. The Sky Tower to the viaduct is about 10-15 min walk east down Queen Street, Aucklands main street.

There is also Aucklands Museum but I guess every city has one of them. You'll need to take a Taxi here as this is south of Auckland City. It will be about 10-15mins from the City depending on time of day.

www.aucklandmuseum.com/26/planning-your-visit

As for good Hotel to stay I'd say depending on you budget but here are a few,

Mercure Hotel Windsor

Stamford Plaza Hotel

Heritage Auckland

These are all downtown.

If you want to be more Central, you can try

Sky City Hotel (This is where the Sky Tower is).

I would advise not going down Queen Street late at night, especially after 11pm considering you'll be travelling alone.

I hope you have a great time in NZ.

Lake in the Hills...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland and Rotorua

Thank you weta and 1stylie1 :) I can't wait to get there!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,688 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland and Rotorua

If looking for a very good 3 star in an excellent location I recommend the Copthorne Harbour. Greta loctaion, short walk from the airport bus route and right on Quay St. Easy walk tomall the restaurants in the Viaduct Basin & to the Devonport Ferry.

Depending onhow much time you have enroute to Rotorua you can take an all dya tour with Great Sights which includes Waitomo Caves or you can go direct with Intercity (about 3 hours)

5. Re: Auckland and Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 25, 2014