We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance on rental cars on North Island

Rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance on rental cars on North Island

Several posts have emphasized that they believe you should pay the ~$15 extra per day to get rental car insurance. We have found that in most places if you have a good credit card like an AMEX Platinum and use that card to rent the car, that they will cover your insurance per the terms in their credit card as well as the fact that your own car insurance covers you as well. Is this not true in New Zealand as well?

I had a problem with Europa car in Europe (Austria) where they charged me $1200+ for a minute chip. AMEX cover this entire amount even though I claimed it was a fraudulent chage. I had assumed the same would be true in Australia and New Zealand.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,955 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance on rental cars on North Island

If you have had good experiences with your AMEX platinum then go for it. Very few NZers would have AMEX - at least none that I know ;-(

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance on rental cars on North Island

If you go to the Amex web site, I am sure you will find the T&C of the insurance. This is the only way of knowing exactly what is covered. Many people do not have any insurance provided with their cards.

It is also worth noting that, if you do not take out the insurance offered with the car, the rental company may place a "hold" on the card for the full amount of the excess (deductible). This is not an actual charge to the card, but it reduces the credit limit by that amount.

And if the car is damaged, the rental company will charge the card and leave you to sort out the insurance.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance on rental cars on North Island

It is becoming apparent that Credit Card insurance issued in the USA is far superior to Credit Card insurance issued downunder. This is despite the fact that not all credit card insurances offered in the USA are the same. As has already been advised check the terms and conditions of your credit card insurance to ascertain what is and is not covered in respect to rental cars.

Spend a bit of time going through earlier threads on car rentals and car rental insurance. Whilst we supposedly all speak English there is a differing interpretation on what Kiwis and Aussies believe things to mean and what Americans understand. Global Traveller in a number of threads has tried to explain these differences.

Car rental companies will take an imprint of your credit card and some will deduct the amount up front; some will put a freeze on the amount thus reducing your credit limit and some will take no action unless required. Check with the rental car company how they operate in this regard. My preferred company Apex take an imprint only.

Unless you have a zero excess always ensure that you get a company rep to sign your vehicle in at the end of the hire. Some unscrupulous companies will seize on the opportunity to price gouge your excess, other more reputable companies will still charge you because in the interim between your flying home and they ulifting the car it has been damaged. Avoid this hassle an return the vehicle early and get it signed off.

Hope this helps a little

4. Re: Insurance on rental cars on North Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, January 06, 2014