We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Auckland

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
RI
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Moving to Auckland

My girlfriend and I are moving to Auckland in early June. We both are plaiing to look for jobs in/around the downtown area. Where are the best places to look for a furnished appartment? If we don't find a flat in Auckland City, how hard/time consuming is it to commute to downtown on the public transportation?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Auckland

Hi there - are you coming from the States (I'm not sure what 'RI' stands for)? Furnished apartments are fairly rare in NZ, you might have difficulty finding one - it will really depend on your budget. Unfurnished ones are much more plentiful. They will however usually have whiteware (fridge, stove etc).

You probably want to find jobs first and then find a flat - commuting is okay from some areas and really hard from others, so it will just depend on where you end up working. What industries are you likely to be employed in?

RI
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Auckland

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we are coming from the United States (RI stands for Rhode Island; a state near Boston). I currently work in the IT industry doing network security so I am hoping to find a job in that department. However, I have experience as a bartender so will fall back on that if I am unable to find an IT job. My girlfriend just received a degree in Advertising and is looking for an internship and will probably wait tables at night. From what we have read it sounds like a flat in Auckland City near the university would be ideal in terms of proximity to work, restaurants, nightlife and transportation...would you agree? Can you recommend any other parts of the city that would be a good place to start our work/flat hunt?

cheers,

Mike

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Auckland

Hi - welcome to Auckland. I've lived here for 4 years now but don't go into the city too much, mainly due to the traffic.

You could try looking at www.trademe.co.nz and going to the property section. Do a search for rentals in central Auckland (CBD) and that will give you and idea of price and what to expect. If you are going to do bar work etc then this would be a good area to live. Many apartments don't have a carpark so if you won't be driving then this would be ideal. If you will be running a car then take this into consideration as parking in downtown Auckland is exensive.

Good luck.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Auckland

Hi there - First off, you should both have no trouble finding jobs - I know there's a real demand for advertising people at present. If your girlfriend is interested in working in media let me know and I can provide an introduction for her if she wishes.

Also, if you are interested in working in the healthcare IT field, my husband runs a firm called HealthLink. Check out their website and if you're interested, get in touch with him - his email address is on the contact page under NZ. He knows you may be in contact.

Okay - now where to live. Good suggestion from Scottygirl re TradeMe - it's a very popular site here for buying and selling all kinds of things, not just property. Besides the CBD, other possibly slightly nicer areas to live in would be the suburbs just around the city - Parnell, Ponsonby, Newmarket and maybe Mt Eden. You can easily get to the city via public transport from all these areas, plus they have plenty of nightlife, cafes etc themselves, where you could find bar/waiting work if you wanted/needed. Again, check out rentals online on Trademe or on the NZ Herald (national newspaper) classified pages. Parnell is a lovely old suburb with lots of historic houses, very popular bars and restaurants, close to the University. Ponsonby also has lots of cafes and restaurants, but is on the other side of the city from the University. Newmarket is a very popular shopping area, with lots of development going on at present. And Mt Eden's just a great place to live, close to the city, and has lots of flats.

Feel free to get intouch with any more questions! :-)

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Auckland

Agree with last post about possible areas to live - but it really does depend on where you end up working, as you might not get a job in the CBD.

Public transport is a bit hit or miss, some areas being quite well served, and others not.

If you can get somewhere to live that is reasonably near a train station then the trains are a good way to get around.

eg. Newmarket, Ellerslie areas you can get to the CBD in about 10 minutes on the train.

Also depends on your budget for accommodation, Parnell, Ponsonby, Mt Eden would be about the most expensive suburbs - but then areas like Eleerslie, Onehunga, Mt Wellington are a bit more affordable, still reasonably nice, and still reasonably accessible to the city

So the previous advise about if possible finding the job 1st before deciding on where to live is the way forward.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
135 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Auckland

I'm going to be in Auckland for 3 months beginning Jan 2007. Quiet and centrally located are main priorities. I've been looking via the internet at the On Scene and Bankside properties listed on the Waldorf site.

I was wondering if there were any opinions positive or negative about these buildings?

Regards

RI
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Auckland

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Thank you so much BeTrue for all of the suggestions and references. I looked at your husband's website and am very interested in his company and application. I plan on sending him an email after work tonight. My girlfriend is also very interested in speaking with you about media. Would it be alright if we contacted you via email? We can be reached at mikerode@gmail.com and jelong@bu.edu (jessica long) if you do not wish to post your address in this thread.

Thanks again for all of the help!

-Mike

New Zealand
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Auckland

Hi Mike - sorry I haven't got back to you before now, busy day. Tom said youv'e been in touch and he has written back to you. I will email you on your given address tomorrow re advertising. Cheers.

Auckland City
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Auckland

The Scene appartments were't popular with the locals, because they were built along the waterfront blocking the view - so they all have amazing views. They are really centrally located, with a big supermarket next door, so are really convenient. They are just finishing building the last one, so they are really new. The prices seemed a bit steep - but the plans / photos looked good. You could probably do better for a long term place in terms of $$, but if you can afford it then they would be nice.

10. Re: Moving to Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:48 am, June 15, 2006