We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
819 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

Will be arriving AKL on Dec 4. Driving up to Paihai for a week with a day to see Goat Island and Poor Knights Island.

Where can I purchase a good road map for both the North and South Islands for our 7 week trip close to AKL or enroute north?

Also, where to purchase a medium size collapsible cooler and some of those re-freezeable ice packs.

Somewhere easy to access would be appreciated as we will be trying to adjust on driving on the left hand side after picking up rental car - ugh!

Thank you,

Joyce

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

Timeshare Queen the bookshop at the airport or the Petrol station as you leave the airport would be as good a place as any. As you leave the airport you will see a Countdown supermarket - here is as good a place as any to buy a Medium sized collapsible chilly bag and reusable freezer bricks.

Edited: 8:51 pm, October 28, 2012
Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

Hi there...

As beanb41 says, as you leave the terminal, after 200m you will come to a set of traffic lights, where you turn left - on this corner is a Z service station which will have a selection of maps.

After turning left, you will immediately reach a roundabout, and to the right is a row of shops (COUNTDOWN, THE WAREHOUSE, + a couple of others). Both Countdown & the Warehouse will sell chilly bags and re-freezable blocks....

You said you have a day to see Goat island and the Poor Knights - bear in mind that you can only go to the Poor Knights on an organised boat trip (dive boats leave at 8.30am, the Perfect Day leisure cruise for snorkelling & kayaking leaves at 11am, but you need to be there at 10.30am - so to do Goat island and this in one day would be almost impossible as you would have to leave Goat island by about 8.30am at the absolute latest to get to Tutukaka by 10.30 to go to the Poor Knights....) - also bear in mind that the perfect Day cruise doesn't necessarily run every single day, so you need to check in advance & book.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
819 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

Hi Andychef:

Thank you for the detail on location of the petrol station and stores to purchase map and chilly bags.

Maybe I am being too optimistic that we can do snorkeling at Goat Island the first day and do the the Poor Knights Perfect Day leisure cruise for snorkelling & kayaking the next day.

We arrive at AKL at 10 pm after a very long 6 hr layover in Sydney from Bangkok. As such, we will not pickup the rental car until the next morning about 9 am. So after buying a map and the cooler - can we actually be to Goat Island to snorkel by 2 pm. We will have to leave the next morning very early (probably 7am) to ensure we get to the Poor Knights Perfect Day cruise by 10:30am since I am sure we will get lost.

Is it even worth it to try to snorkel at Goat Island - probably only one hour or two and just may be too stressed out the long flight and picking up the car, etc. What do you think?

I will email Dive Tutukaka about the Perfect Day leisure cruise - just assumed it went each day. I also wanted to wait until last min to book as I get seasick pretty easily and want to check the weather forecast upon arrival.

Thanks for your help.

Joyce

4. Re: Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:37 pm, October 29, 2012
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

It is only 100 km from the airport to Goat Island, most of it motorway, so even if you left at 10:00 and dawdled, you'd be at Matakana or Leigh for lunch and have an hour to walk that off before snorkling at 2:30.

Just to add to what the others have said - Countdown and the Warehouse are likely to sell a map book as well, just as good as any you'll see in the service station. The bookshop should have a slightly better range, but the way bookshops are going these days, I wouldn't count on it.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

Hi

If you plan to do Goat Island on your 1st afternoon, and then the Perfect Day cruise the next day, then that sounds like a do-able plan.

If you leave Auckland Airport area around 9, you should be at Goat Island easily by 11.30 - leaving you a good few hours to snorkel and have a bit of a look around Leigh/Matakana area aswell...

If you stayed at Goat island/Leigh that night you would have to allow at least 2 hours to get to Tutukaka....BUT, it might make more sense to leave Goat Island area late afternoon and make your way to somewhere like Waipu, or even as far as Whangarei that evening - then you only have 30-60 minutes driving to get to Tutukaka for the Perfect Day cruise (which by the way is well worth the effort).

They do try to run the Perfect day trip as many days as possible during high season, but I would guess 1 per week on average night get cancelled due to weather or possibly due to not having enough people wanting to go out, so its worth double checking...

Auckland
Level Contributor
242 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

I thought the Rental Car place would supply road maps for you? The AA road maps are excellent. Separate ones for both North & South islands (and aren't they available at i-SITES??)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,264 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

As well as the Whitcoulls (bookshop)at the airport there are free Jasons maps which I find quite good enough for most tourist purposes. Usually in a big display stand just as you exit the customs hall, on the RHS iirc.

Somebody else once raised the sensible point about freezing bottles of water so you could drink the water too and not have the initial outlay for the freezer bricks!!

Edited: 5:48 am, October 29, 2012
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
819 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

Thank you all for your comments - you all are truly awesome!

1. We will not arrive at AKL until 10 pm at night - so I assume the Whitcoulls (bookshop) at the airport will be closed - is that correct?

Will certainly pick up the Jason maps at the airport and see what the Apex Car Rental provides us in maps before purchasing one at the Petrol station.

We do have a Nuvi GPS with us NZ maps loaded - so hopefully it will work with no problem. Already found that I must type the address in all CAPS for it to work or I get "cannot be found." But must have maps for backup and like to know where we are going on a map.

2. Love the suggestion about freezing water bottles for the chill bag - what an excellent idea. We may wait and just purchase a chill bag when we get to Paihia for our week stay - we will see.

3. Also, I calculated the time for driving and we will likely just delay our Perfect Day cruise until our week in Paihia. It is about a 1.5 hr drive each way. This will also allow me to pick a calm sunny day based on the weather forecast.

Much more leisurely than trying to drive 1.5 hr from AKL to day snorkel at Goat Island and then another 2 hrs to Whangarei for the evening. Way too stressful for our first day.

So we will do Goat Island the first day and spend the night.

How about driving the next day to see the Waipoua Forest from Goat Island - AA states 3 hr drive. We can then spend the night there and see the area the next day before 2 drive to Paihia? Comments???

Where should we stay for our night in the Waipoua Forest area?

Joyce

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy NZ map and cooler?

Waipoua Forest and the Hokianga is a fantastic area of the country and well worth the drive....

Accommodation is a little limited in that area - here are a few suggestions that are good....

Copthorne Omapere

Opononi Dolphin Lodge

Opononi Hotel

McKenzies Accommodation

This is definitely a good option as a detour on the way to the Bay of Islands....