We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ tour in May 2012

ahmadnagar...
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
NZ tour in May 2012

we are a family of 4[aged 48, 44, 15,13] from India. planning a leisure tour of 13-14 days of NZ [both islands] in latter half of May 2013. may be a night or two at worthwhile places. so a few queries: 1. is the time right? 2. which places should be visited? 3. what is the best mode of travel? thanking in anticipation.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NZ tour in May 2012

Welcome to the Kiwi forum :)

There really isn't a bad time to visit NZ, it really just depends what you hope to do. May isn't great beach weather! I actually prefer April as the autumn changing of the leaves can be stunning in the central South Island.

13 - 14 days is very rushed to see the highlights of both islands which would take 3 weeks - you might want to consider staying just in the South island. If wanting to see some of the North Island too you would be best to fly between the two.

Take a look at the many 10 days itineraries on the forum to see what is possible.

Hiring a car and driving is by far the more flexible way to tour and with four of you it will also be more economical than four bus fares.

Happy planning :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,497 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NZ tour in May 2012

What are your interests and what sort of budget? If you choose to rent a car & self-drive a good accommodation option is motels which have separate bedrooms and a small kitchen so you can save money on breakfast & occassionally self- cater.

As mentioned above 10 days - 2 weeks is minimum for the SI if you choose to self drive, so your choices are:

A. Arrive AKL; FLY to Queenstown; one week stay-put in the Lakes District, taking tours; Fly to Wellington or Rotorua; rent car; one week self-drive NI.

B. 3-4 days AKL to Rotorua (NI); Fly to Christchurch; 10 days self-drive circuit of the lower SI, including Queenstown & Glaciers; or

C. Arrive AKL; fly to CHC; rent car and spend 2 weeks circling the SI.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NZ tour in May 2012

Hi there.

New Zealand is a great country - I believe the best in the world - and you and your family are going to have a ball!

Whatever time of year you actually make it there, there's plenty to see and do. Personally, I'd try to time it a little later than May (or, as Wanaka mentioned, April or ealier) - I'd plan on visiting, say, late August/September instead. That way you get to experience the best of the winter as well as some of the (slightly) warmer periods.

I've spent a lot of time in New Zealand recently - there really is plenty to see and do, no matter what interests you. I guess that's the thing you need to decide - what type of activities are most appealing to you and your group?

I assume you're going to visit the bigger cities as well as the quaint, cute little towns too.

I'm a professional writer and recently wrote a blog on the best big cities to visit. (I've been lucky enough to travel around the country - both the north and the south islands - for work. I've seen a lot... and I can tell you it's ALL good!) There's quite a bit of information on it, including where specifically you might want to visit in the major areas, and what you should see and do.

nicholasjanzen.com/2012/…

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,328 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NZ tour in May 2012

For May travel stay in the North Island where temperatures are warmer and there is plenty to see and do over such a short timeframe. Hire a car and stay in s/c 2 br motel accommodation.

Arrive Auckland - explore city, harbour and Waitakere Ranges - 3 nights

Coromandel peninsula - 2 nights

Tauranga/Mt Maunganui - 1 night

Rotorua via Hobbiton (Matamata) - 3 nights

Taupo - 2 nights

Waitomo Caves to Hamilton - 1 night

Return Auckland final night

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,647 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NZ tour in May 2012

WanakaLakes and Zuzhai2007 have rightly informed you that two week trips to NZ are best arranged for either North Island or South Island. Both are excellent destinations but trying to do both means a lot more running around and less enjoying the lovely sights and attractions you are seeing. Do heed to this wise advice if possible and decide upon North or South Island. Or ideally see if its possible to increase your holiday time to 3-4 weeks so you can visit both.

Frangipani08 has offered a nice basic plan that would give a nice taste of the North Island but there are even more destinations there to consider. Others areas north of Auckland near and past the Bay of Islands as well as Hawkes Bay are well worth considering, just as an example.

If you visit the South Island TA forums, I'm sure you can find some suggested 13-14 day trips there as well. Similar, there is no shortage of excellent places to visit like Lake Tekapo, Mt. Cook, Wanaka, Queenstown, Milfred Sound and thats just cutting down through South Island. Other places worth considering as well.

As you should see your choices are literally unlimited and as janno1983 rightly put it, "Its all good". You can't really go wrong so just pick an Island and start planning.

plan to start with for a North Island trip. I'm sure you can find similar if you are more inclined on visiting the South Island. Both are excellent locations but for different reasons so best to do a bit of research and determine which is best for you.

6. Re: NZ tour in May 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 11, 2013