We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CityLife vs. Celestion Waldorf

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saitama, Japan
Level Contributor
70 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
CityLife vs. Celestion Waldorf

I am planning a trip to Auckland in New Year's holidays with my husband and my son. I am thinking of staying at either CityLife or Celestion Waldorf, and would like to hear your pros and cons about the two. I chose them because they both had 2 bedroom suites/apartments and the rates are affordable.

What I expect from them is:

1) Easy access to shopping areas, esp. DFS Galleria.

2) Sleep quality (less noise from the street at night).

3) Easy access to restaurants and other eating places.

Thank you for your help!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CityLife vs. Celestion Waldorf

There are other places in the central CBD Auckland which offer two bedroom apartments at reasonable cost. For example, Quest have three (or 4?) different sites around the city.

It is worth looking at the accommodation website, WOTIF. It does not cover bookings that far out as it is primarily for last minute deals. But it offers a good way of exploring the alternatives.

Explore the functionality of the site. For example, you can apply filters at the top of the page regarding, in this case, two bedrooms. You can also get it to display costs in your preferred currency and it will do the conversion for you.

You can shortlist and it will provide location maps. Be aware that TripAdvisor's search will lead you to reviews of most of these hotels.

This is a link to a quick filter I did for today's date. It will be a long URL. Cut and paste. If that doesn't work just go to the home page and work through the selections.

http://www.wotif.com/search/Advanced?searchTerms=&country=NZ&region=71&destination=2343&adults=0&children=0&child1Age=1&child2Age=1&child3Age=1&child4Age=1&child5Age=1&child6Age=1&child7Age=1&child8Age=1&child9Age=1&accommodationTypeMatch=&roomTypeCategoryMatch=2+bedroom&starRatingMatch=&maximumPrice=&isoCurrencyCode=NZD&selectedSuggestionId=&startDay=2012-05-20&refine=Search&page=1&viewType=all

http://www.wotif.com

Enjoy

Saitama, Japan
Level Contributor
70 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CityLife vs. Celestion Waldorf

Thank you, Joan M. I was able to go to wotif through the link you gave me.

Still, I would like to hear what other people think of the two hotels above because I have spent a lot of time choosing them. In addition to the two criteria above, I regard the ranking of Tripadvisor as important, when choosing CityLife and Celection.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CityLife vs. Celestion Waldorf

I really liked the Citylife - I had a one bedroom apartment, and was very pleased with the amount of space and facilities. I don't recall any noise. There are quite a few restaurant areas nearby - Elliot Stables is not far away. and has a small collection of restaurants. There is also Chancery in the other dierection and then in Upper Queen Street, there is a line of Asian Cafes, with a very nice French cafe in their midst. Victoria Street also has several restaurants - it runs off Queen Street about a block from the hotel. Plus there's a whole bunch of fast food places dotted around.

I've not stayed in the Celestion Waldorf, but it is closer than the Citylife to Auckland's main eating destinations - Britomart, the Viaduct and Wynyard Wharf. I'd be inclined to check for events at the Vector Arena when you plan to stay - it is a music venue and not far away, so could produce a noise problem.

DFS Galleria is behind the Citylife.

Central Auckland shopping isn't the greatest, to be honest - there are a few posh name brand stores on Queen Street, a few local brands, Smith & Caughey's department store and whatever is in the Atrium shopping centre (I go there because I like the foodcourt for lunch, but the shopping doesn't strike me as compulsory).

Edited: 9:00 am, May 20, 2012
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CityLife vs. Celestion Waldorf

DFS Galleria is in the Customhouse building on Customs Street. Is there another outlet near CityLife, NZBarry? The golden mile for CBD shopping is along Queen Street, as well as the side streets including where City-Life is located. In addition to food courts, there are restaurants around this same area (The Kitchen at De Bretts, and the O'Connell St Bistro, among others).

Another apartment hotel you could consider is Chifley Stuites on Albert St, just around the corner from the Customhouse, and closer to both Britomart transport hub, and the Viaduct for dining. Quay West apartments are even closer to DFS Galleria and the downtown shopping centre, but is this a little above the price range you are aiming for?

Saitama, Japan
Level Contributor
70 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CityLife vs. Celestion Waldorf

Thank you so much, NZBarry and Frangipani08. It sounds like CityLife is better for shopping. I also checked the Quay West, but 2 Bedroom Suites were already sold out, and even 1 Bedroom suite is expensive and TA reviewers say their sofabeds are not comfortable. After reading Frangipani08's response, I checked Chifley Suites -- I found that the hotel doesn't have air-con. We can't live without it.

Is there anyone who thinks Celestion is better than CityLife in some ways, except for their rates?

6. Re: CityLife vs. Celestion Waldorf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:40 am, June 22, 2013