We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bookshops in Auckland City Centre

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bookshops in Auckland City Centre

Which book shops are recommended to get a variety of books (children's, sports, local history, etc.) in Auckland city centre?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bookshops in Auckland City Centre

Hi again MS :)

Try Dymocks, I always enjoy browsing in this store when I go to Auckland. They are right in the main street (Queen St) in downtown Auckland. They're on the western side of the street up towards the top end of Queen St.

Dymocks Auckland

246 Queen Street

Auckland

New Zealand

www.dymocks.co.nz

The other shop is Whitcoulls, 210 Queen St. On the easten side on a corner 1/2 way up.

www.whitcoulls.co.nz

Both have a really good selection of books- Whitcoulls also have a store at the airport on the departure lounge level.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bookshops in Auckland City Centre

Just came back to tag the post...forgot to before. :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bookshops in Auckland City Centre

Also try Borders bookshop in Queen St - beside the Aotea Centre and in the same building as the Village Cinema complex. It is a very large bookshop and very popular.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bookshops in Auckland City Centre

Yes, thanks Scottygirl I had forgotten that one. It is excellent as well- a great DVD section if I remember correctly.

Ponsonby, Auckland
Level Contributor
61 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bookshops in Auckland City Centre

Best bookshop in the country for kids is Dorothy Butlers in Ponsonby, Women's Bookshop, also in Ponsonby is a great bookshop for up to the minute, interesting books.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bookshops in Auckland City Centre

Great, thanks all! Will look it up. We have Borders here in KL but choice not as great as abroad. Do you happen to have the address for Dorothy Butler's?

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bookshops in Auckland City Centre

Just an option - there is a Bennetts bookshop on the 'duty free' side of customs at Auckland airport.

Bennetts operate the bookshops at several NZ Universities so they have a very wide range of options - fiction, non fiction everything. If you are keen on some books, think about ordering to pick them up at the airport and you won't have to pay GST on them.

https://www.bennetts.co.nz/index.htm

auckland-airport.co.nz/Shopping/…

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bookshops in Auckland City Centre

that's a good point nettie. my husband esp. is a book lover and no doubt we'll be having kg's worth of books in our luggage! will have to make space if we want to purchase at the airport. thanks again!