We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best bank?

Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
best bank?

Hi all! I'll be moving to Auckland soon and am looking for a bank. Now that I know that transaction fees are the norm, I'm looking for a bank with the lowest transaction / service fees and ATMs just everywhere. Most seem to like ASB - what do you guys think? ASB or is there a better one? Many thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
NZ
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best bank?

ASB is popular, it gets excellent ratings in customer satisfaction surveys. You might want to compare fees and services with another good bank - The National Bank. There is also Bank Direct which is solely online and claims to have the lower costs.

Wanganui NZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best bank?

You really do need to shop around, as different banks offer different services based on things like age, job and how you use your account. I am a teacher and Westpac gives me a special break for being a govt. employee. I used to bank with ASB and my mortgage is with The National Bank. It took me a couple of days to sort out my first account, but I am thrifty (cheap).

New Zealand
Level Contributor
469 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best bank?

Check out TSB (Taranaki Savings Bank). They don't have branches all over the place, but make it extremely easy to do everything you may ever need to do. We've been with them about 5 yrs, and can't fault them.

I am an ex bank manager (not with TSB) and always knew when I left where I was working that that's where we'd move all our accounts to.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
469 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best bank?

Meant to add too, you can use any other banks ATM (except ANZ) for free.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best bank?

Not all Banks will accept your account unless you have a visa that is for more than 3/6 months. Otherwise, the banks all seem to be much the same. Banking however, is not free as it is in many countries!

Ponsonby, Auckland
Level Contributor
9 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best bank?

I would recommend that you have a look at the websites for the major Banks, particulaly ASB (as already mentioned) www.nationalbank.co.nz and www.bnz.co.nz also come our high in the customer service surveys. I know BNZ has a few different accounts with different fee structures, some biased towards ATM/online banking usage (base fee for a set number of transactions, and then charge after those have been used up) - but a Banking Adviser will be able to assist with working out the best account for your usage.

TSB is popular, however you can get caught by minimum balances and higher fees if you live outside Taranaki or don't have your mortgage with them.

As for non residents, bring plenty of ID, and perhaps, to be on the safe side, previous Bank Statements. You'll have to open the account in person (legal reasons in New Zealand), but if you've got all the right paperwork, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific