We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis from Auckland Airport

Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis from Auckland Airport

I would like to know if all taxi companies charge the same from the Airport to the City?

Are the taxis metered and is it usually meter fare +Tips?

How are Discount cabs different?Are their meter rates lower than other companies?Can we flag them at the airport or do we need to pre book?

57 replies to this topic
London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis from Auckland Airport

Use Airbus Express which has a service every 15 minutes, day and night from the Airport to the city centre for NZ$16 per adult and NZ$6 for children. Google "Airbus Express" for ticket bookings.

Indicative fares from the airport into the city are between NZ$60 – NZ$80 one-way for a taxi and between NZ$30 and NZ$40 per person for a shuttle. See aucklandairport.co.nz/ToAndFromTheAirport/Pu… for further details.

PS Google is magic.

Auckland
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis from Auckland Airport

Taxis companies in NZ must be licensed with the government so regardless of company, they all very good. They are tequired to be metered and the meterust ne clearly visible. I tend to use Auckland Co-op taxis, or Corporate Cabs as I find them to have the most modern and tidiest cars, and the most professional drivers. Expect to pay between $50 to $60 NZD from the airport to the central city depending on traffic. Tipping is not expected but it's nice if you experience extra special service, otherwise it's norm to just roll up to the nearest dollar.

Edited: 12:26 am, January 30, 2011
Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis from Auckland Airport

Thanks WestLondoner andMSRelaxation !What I notice is that shuttles in NZ seem more expensive when travelling in a group of say 4 passengers and we may be better off taking a cab.

We are staying on Hobson Street,does the super shuttle drop off at the hotels?

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis from Auckland Airport

If there are 4 of you, you are right, you may aswell take a cab, as shuttle or Airbus will be more or less the same price. I think it may be nearer $70 from Airport to City on average in a taxi, but it definitely depends on traffic to a certain extent.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis from Auckland Airport

The use of the word "Discount" or "Cheap" in a name doesn't really mean that they are less expensive. Just that they are a lesser quality and provide a poorer service.

You could book your cab online to be waiting for you at the airport. There is no booking fee. It is really a limousine service at a cab rate.

www.corporatecabs.co.nz

New Zealand
Level Contributor
152 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis from Auckland Airport

A friend of mine told me that Discount Cabs offer an airport pick up from the airport carpark for a lot cheaper but you need to prebook. There is also the Airbus http://www.airbus.co.nz/ which leaves every 15 minutes and will drop you in Queen Street. Personally I never take Discount Cabs - I only use Alert Taxis http://www.alerttaxis.co.nz/ or COOP Taxis http://www.cooptaxi.co.nz/.

Depending on the time you arrive, the traffic may be heavy and your fare will be expensive. The Airbus can take the bus lanes during peak times.

salisbury
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis from Auckland Airport

Make sure you see the meter I was charged 104 NZ dollars for a trip from the airport to Sumner I am told the correct fare in daytime for a trip to the city should be about 50 NZ dollars, avoid a Mr Shah!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
152 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis from Auckland Airport

Yes, it is quite common in heavy traffic for a cab fare to reach NZD$90 - $100 between the airport and city. That's why the Airbus is so good.

Plus, there is an airport charge on the fare as well so I would say that $104 was probably right if you were travelling at peak time. Not sure where Sumner is though in Auckland....

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis from Auckland Airport

I thought Sumner was a suburb of Christchurch, not Auckland....!

Anyway, the same general rules apply for taxi journeys in any of the main cities

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis from Auckland Airport

To Sumner Beach in Christchurch in peak traffic may come close to $100. I would not tip a taxi driver. There may be additional charges for using a credit card, and the airport companies charge the taxis a fee for the airport stand. (could be $5)

I would tend to use Co-op or corporate in Auckland, Green in Wellington and Christchurch.

De-regulation has meant there are too many cabs around. Some are quite marginal and while they all have to meet strict safety requirements, some are a bit old and tatty. Do not get into a cab that does not feel right. You do not have to take the first cab in a rank, ever, anywhere.

Some may have a flat fee from an airport.

Reply to: Taxis from Auckland Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central