We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental auckland

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
car rental auckland

We hired a Scotties car in Auckland. The service was fantastic. We were picked up and dropped back at the airport ,given heaps of advice and a free GPS. Scotties is the only company who have free GPS maps. The car ran beautifully. We would really recommend these guys.

Minneapolis...
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental auckland

Can you tell me how much you paid and if you made reservations in advance. Thanks

Kansas City
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental auckland

Would like to know costs and how long you stayed and what you stops you would recommend. Did you have any difficulty with driving on the Left side of the road?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental auckland

Not such a good experience for us.

Hired a car for a month from them. They couldn't pick us up from the airport because they were busy so had to get a bus to the hotel where they are based.

We were then charged for the rental, despite having pre-paid for the trip. They have still not refunded us the full amount, and do not reply to emails requesting the refund.

Wouldn't use them again. Cheap, but the service reflects that.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental auckland

One of the major issues we see about car rental companies esp[ecially the cut price companies is a lack of service, assistance with problems and lack of adequate staff available for vehicle returns.

Whilst if everything runs smoothly a cut price deal can seem absolutely great and it is. When a problem occurs and the hirer is left floundering looking for assistance because the cutprice operator with an office in Auckland cannot reolve a breakdown or accident in the Catlins then no matter how cheap the daily rate is it is too expensive.

When daily rates are cut back to attract customers customer service is the first item that is reduced sometimes to nil.

There are many 2nd tier operators who are recommemded time and time again on TA. I would use one of those.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental auckland

We just had a problem with Alternative Rental Cars--discount car rental, old car with lots of dings. When we returned, they said there was a NEW scratch and charged us 50% of the two-week rental price to repair it. 3 people in the car the whole time knew that there was no accident or scrape (unless in a car park while unattended??) Furthermore, if they are charging to repair every time there is a new scratch, why are there so many scratches and dings on the car? Since there were so many scratches already, we certainly could not dispute the company's statement. I would avoid.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental auckland

Call me cynical but a TA first time poster with an OTT testimonial I would treat with great caution. Whilst it is nice to hear that Scotties provide free GPS, I have never heard of "GPS maps". In addition I am surprised nicky052 has not answered questions of hire costs etc. For makana073's information driving is on the left hand side of the road in both Australia and NZ. Out of the cities the roads are pleasantly quiet with very little traffic and familiarisation of driving on the left should only take about 15 minutes. However many of the hire cars are manual gear change, but again an experienced driver should be easily able to master both types of gear box very rapidly.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental auckland

Hi, sorry for the delay. We had a Toyota Corolla and I think the rate was about $35 (NZ$) , they had quite a variety of sizes of cars so I guess you can pay more or less for the car you want. We just booked online and the rates all seem to be competitive.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental auckland

Yes I will call you cynical! Sorry if I used the wrong term about GPS, they gave us a brand new GPS unit. She even got it out of the box for us - worked great. The only problem we had was when we got lost on the new auckland freeway. They had just opened a new section of road and it was bit of a laugh to see us driving at 100km along a farm with no road marked.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental auckland

Thank you for the response and proof that you are an objective TA poster. Welcome to the club. Driving around NZ was so simple we just used a map, the old fashioned paper version, even though I could have used my own PDA with its GPS application.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

Auckland - New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental auckland

Dear Bigfod

Annie from Scotties here, can you please email me urgently regarding the issues you have raised, if there is a problem we need to get it fixed.

Many thanks

Annie Scott, annie@scotties.co.nz