We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 3 nights worth it?

Arlington, VA
4 posts
Save Topic
Is 3 nights worth it?

Am in the process of finalizing our late August/early September honeymoon and need some advice. We will be in Fiji for 8 nights and are trying to decide whether to book another hotel in Fiji for the remaining 3 nights or to take advantage of a free stop over in Auckland on our way home. Thoughts? Can we enjoy ourselves in Auckland or 2 hour vicinity in 3 nights or will we feel rushed etc. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 3 nights worth it?

It is definitely still worth coming to NZ for 3 nights. Hire a car and head straight out of Auckland. If you only go to one region then you shouldn't feel too rushed. I'd recommend you go to Northland (Tutukaka Coast/Bay of Islands/West Coast). You can do a great loop drive up the East Coast then down the West. It is 2.5 hours to Whangarei, another hour to the Bay of Islands and about 5 hours returning to Auckland via the West Coast. The trip would tie in well with Fiji as it is quite a contrast. Have a great trip.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 3 nights worth it?

I reckon three nights in Auckland would be enough to see the sights, sky tower, do one of the harbour boat trip to Devonport or Waiheke. Chill out with a nice meal and a few drinks in Viaduct harbour. You can drive out to some of the beaches but you have to consider that it will be winter - not especially cold but will no doubt be plenty of rain around at that time, so if it were my honeymoon I'd be inclined to stay in Fiji (LOL)

Waiheke Island, New...
Level Contributor
154 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 3 nights worth it?

Of course it's worth it especially if it is a free stopover. Have a look here for some ideas: http://www.ki-wi.co.nz/auckland.htm

I live on Waiheke and if it is a fine day take the ferry and rent a car, or even stay the night, it is a must see place in the Auckland Region :-)

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 3 nights worth it?

Hi jsize.

A 3 day stop in NZ is definitely worth it - the north half of the north island is fairly compact and you can easily get to some great areas without much difficulty. For my money, the Coromandel Penninsula is well worth an overnight, especially if you go up the west side, across 309 Road to Witianga and then down from there - don't miss Hot Water beach (a short stop). You may also have time for a quick run to Rotorua - more than worth the effort.

Enjoy!

Late Day Traveller