We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland or Waiheke Island?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland or Waiheke Island?

I have 2 places in mind. Either "Thistledown Lodge" in Ramarama-Auckland or "Palm Beach Bungalows" on Waiheke Island. Both looked nice on their websites, and both were in my price range.

Where would be more enjoyable for a couple on their anniversary? Has anyone been to, or heard anything about these places?

Please let me know - it will be the first to nights of our (my husband and I) vacation, and I want it to be special.

Thank you!

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland or Waiheke Island?

Hi There, Waiheke Island is definitely a romantic destination. You catch a ferry from downtown Auckland across the harbour and the scenery/beaches on the island are lovely. There are also cafes, wineries and craft shops to keep you entertained on the island. Ramarama has pretty country-side but not really a destination in itself. It is quite close to the airport though (20 minute drive).I haven't been to either accommodation so can't comment on them individually sorry.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland or Waiheke Island?

thank you, any input is great!

Ponsonby, Auckland
Level Contributor
61 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland or Waiheke Island?

Ramarama is miles away from anywhere.

Waiheke is beautiful but you will need to rent a car there as it is hard to get around the island.

How are you getting there? If you are arriving on that early plane, it would be better to spend a couple of days in Auckland first. Auckland is half an hour from the airport and the ferry goes hourly.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
26 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland or Waiheke Island?

Palm Beach all the way - waiheke island is beautiful with a wide range of beaches, vineyards, walks etc to take part in - go in summer and the bungalows are a 5 min walk to swin in a blue sea/white sand beach and if that gets boring there are about 5 others all different (surf beaches, harbours, rock inlets for snorkeling etc) within 5mins drive. Just a tip - the far end of palm beach which you climb over rocks to get to is an unofficial nudist beach, which could be good for sightseeing at times :) - cant think of anything or any reason why i would go to ramarama - nothing there unless you like big green fields and farms.