We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland hotels

Texas
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Topic
Auckland hotels

We have 3 nights in Auckland and would like to stay in the viaduct harbour mainly for waterfront view/restaurants/catch a ferry to Waiheke…we will not have a car. I am wondering if anyone can offer specific feedback that will help me choose between the Sebel suites and Westin :)

We have an early flight; 8:45am on a weekday to Cook Is .. is it best to use a taxi or the airbus shuttle to the airport from the viaduct?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland hotels

Kia Ora villefranche,

For your early flight to Raro, probably best to book a Shuttle pickup from your hotel at 6am or thereabouts. Will be a quick drive to airport at this hour - 35/40 minutes. Your hotel can arrange the Shuttle service, or book online.

The Airbus departs from the ferry building at bottom of Queen St. With luggage etc you'd probably need a taxi anyway from hotel to the ferry terminal departure point for Airbus.

Sebel or Westin? Both in a great handy location at the Viaduct, near downtown and Queen St, and the Waiheke ferry!!. I'll leave this choice to you/others/& the forum reviews to the left-hand side.

Cheers

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland hotels

I would go for the Sebel suites as the Westinis is a wee walk from the action, ferries and restaurants.

You do not need a car staying in this part of Auckland, and you will find lots to do.

Check out www.aucklandnz.com

Book a shuttle via the hotel and then you will be guaranteed to arrive at the airport at the correct time.

Kay

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Texas
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland hotels

Thanks Frangipani and Kay for your suggestions of taking a shuttle to airport. Good to know the Westin is a wee walk from ferries and restaurants..:) I am considering the Sebel suites for our stay in Auckland.

Flying air New Zealand to Auckland then to Keri Keri; we have 3 hrs between connecting flights.. is there baggage storage service at the international terminal that can keep our Cook Is luggage for 5 days so we can travel light to Northland?

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland hotels

Hi villefranche,

The left-luggage storage in the international terminal at Auckland airport is called Secure and Store - located ground floor (street level)- on the road side of terminal building, near the Air NZ check-ins, when walking from the arrivals hall.

Been beautiful weather in Raro these past few weeks -hope it lasts!

Ask the Sebel Suites for a room on the higher levels - I did read a recent remark on forums that this is recommended to reduce traffic noise at lower levels - no doubt better views also. And yes, this hotel is closer to Viaduct cafes, downtown shopping, Maritime Museum and ferry terminal - but the Westin is still handy - not too far west of the Sebel.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Texas
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland hotels

Frangipani - Thank you very much for left-luggage info I really appreciate! It is Seal N Secure. I was able to contact the shop about pricing.

I just booked a marina room at Sebel and requested a higher floor for a better view. We’ll be there on weekdays, so hopefully there will be less traffic and noise.

All set to go now!

6. Re: Auckland hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 21, 2010