We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Auckland

CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Auckland

I will be in Auckland for 2 days in March. We are 4 adults and 2 kids (both 2 years old).

We already have 2 nights hotel booked in Auckland.

Please advice the places to see in and around Auckland or a day trip from Auckland.

We are planning to self drive....

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
877 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Auckland

Ermmmm... I'm also currently planning for day trip in Auckland.

I am looking at places like Waiheke (45mins ferry ride) or Coromandel (2hours ferry ride or 2.5hours self drive)... or as per suggested by Zappers, you could visit the Kiwi Plantation in Rotorua (3hours drive).

You would most probably be in a better position than me as you are definitely in the summer times and I am in the Autumn time (May).

Enjoy planning!

Cheers,

Suying

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Auckland

There are some great ideas posted in the 5 pages of this thread;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255106-i404-k6799…

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Auckland

Hi

With two two year olds I would not attempt Rotorua in a day. There are many places to entertain small children around Auckland. My first choice would be the Auckland Zoo as it is very child friendly.

Depending where you are staying there may be a great beach nearby and a ferry trip to Devonport would be better than Waiheke with small children.

Kelly Tarltons would also be a possibility.

The gannet colony at Muriwai black sand beach is a great sight if you venture north west of Auckland, only 25 minutes from the CBD. And then return to the city over the Harbour bridge.

Hope that the weather is kind to you and you enjoy our country.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,352 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Auckland

Hi Rensan,

The ferry trips to Devonport &/or to Waiheke are good sightseeing option with young children. 10 minutes by ferry to Devonport, and 35 minutes to Waiheke - tours can be arranged to sightsee at both destinations. The 10am Waiheke ferry also stops at Devonport. Regular services from downtown Ferry Terminal.

Auckland is a very spread out city - takes a while to negotiate traffic if heading across town to venture west to Muriwai beach/gannet colony. Children are often enthralled just running around an inner city beach to feed seagulls - enjoying a family picnic on a warm March afternoon, while parents relax/unwind after travel. Mission Bay & these eastern beaches are all delightful - great children's playground, nice eateries, excellent grassed area and our native Pohutukawa trees for a shady picnic, cooling fountain, and wonderful vies across harbour to Rangitoto Island.

Main city attractions - Kelly Tarlton's, Mission Bay, Auckland waterfront in general, Bastion Point, Auckland Museum (Maori concert performed daily), Parnell village - Victorian architecture - wonderful shops, yummy icecream in cones! - and nearby Rose Garden, Parnell baths - Judges Bay, Skycity (viewing tower), Mt Eden and One Tree Hill - Cornwall Park well established by our forefathers with large leafy trees, sheep and cattle grazing, nice tea house - and lovely drive to summit, Auckland Zoo & MOTAT (museum transport & technology - excellent Western Springs park and springs lake). Also Takapuna - Milford beaches too - plenty of parking alongside good shopping/cafes.

Further afield are the Waitakere Ranges - Arataki Visitors Centre, native bush, dams, views to west and east coast.

Rotorua day-trip may be pushing it with young children. Especially consider Orewa/Waiwera, Warkworth, Matakana, Sandspit - gorgeous coastal region of north Auckland. Plenty of family-based activities - and excellent motorway system from city to Puhoi - use the new tunnel one way, but return via Waiwera (natural thermal springs bathing pools), and Orewa for the views from crest of hill. Lots to see & lovely scenery around eastern coastline.

Happy travels

5. Re: 2 days in Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 20, 2009