We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrying Liquids onto Domestic Flights

Reno, NV
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Carrying Liquids onto Domestic Flights

I am flying into Auckland on an international flight and then transfering to a domestic flight to Christchurch.

I thought I had read somewhere that domestic flights within New Zealand do not observe the same liquid restrictions as international flights. Is this true -and is it OK to purchase alcohol on arrival in Auckland and then carry it onto the plane to Christchurch?

Thanks!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,576 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carrying Liquids onto Domestic Flights

Hi RNO,

I take it that you arrive NZ via the international terminal, then make your way over to the domestic terminal in Auckland for separate internal flight to Chch?

The carry-on allowance is 1 bag with weight no more than 7 Kg max plus a separate small handbag - security now quite strict on this. I've often carried my duty free ppurchased on arrival into NZ and then transferred to internal Air NZ with no restriction - so long as I abided by the above regulations.

The Auckland forum poster who works at airport will clarify current alcohol/glass restriction, if online. And Andychef or Zappers will know about latest policy also.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carrying Liquids onto Domestic Flights

RNO the carrying of liquids ie your duty free booze won't be a problem on domestic airlines. There is still a problem with knives, scissors etc.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carrying Liquids onto Domestic Flights

One word of warning here. While it is true that we do not observe the same LAG rules on domestic flights you need to be wary about which flight you are transferring to in Auckland.

If you are getting onto the special international connecction in Auckland (NZ302/NZ303) this is classed as an international flight so the usual rules apply. Do not stock up on duty free ex USA because you will loose it on arrival in Auckland. You will however be able to buy duty free once you have passed through the security check in Auckland and take that onto the flight.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
507 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carrying Liquids onto Domestic Flights

Hi RNO, I can confirm that what rbmm said regarding special flight NZ303 into CHC and NZ302 into AKL is true. This domestic flight is treated like it's international. It goes in and out of international terminal so the Liquid, Gel, and Aerosol restrictions do apply there.

Other flights do not. :-) Hope it helps.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,698 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carrying Liquids onto Domestic Flights

You will also find that duty free liquor is cheaper in the NZ duty free shops than most places, although specials down town may be even cheaper. Unless you are buying Port or specialty drinks it's probably not worth it.

6. Re: Carrying Liquids onto Domestic Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, October 17, 2009