We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours of Tiri Tiri Matangi

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tours of Tiri Tiri Matangi

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Auckland in March 2008. We're coming from the UK and land on a Monday. We really want to visit Tiri Tiri Matangi to see the wildlife there on Tuesday before we head south.

The only operator who I can find that goes to the island is 360 Discovery - and they don't run the tour on a Tuesday. Does anyone know if this is right? Are there any other operators who do tours to the island?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jackie

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
137 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours of Tiri Tiri Matangi

Hi Jackie,

It looks as though 360 Discovery is the only company that runs tours: www.doc.govt.nz/templates/PlaceProfile.aspx…

The island is an open sanctuary, so if you are desperate to visit it might be possible to drive or get a bus to Gulf Harbour on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula, which is very close to Tiri, and get a water taxi to drop you off and pick you up. The Department of Conservation website says private boats can land: www.doc.govt.nz/templates/page.aspx?id=34347.

I've been to Tiri on the tour and it's fantastic, even for someone like me who isn't a real wildlife fanatic. The birds are great. The advantage of the tours is that in the morning you get shown around & taken to the best spots to locate the birds, then get left to your own devices for a few hours. If you do make it there, be careful you don't get mugged by one of the takahe! They like to raid visitors' bags (and visitors) looking for crisps...

Best of luck,

Suzanne

2. Re: Tours of Tiri Tiri Matangi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 10, 2009