We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new zeland in winter - good idea?

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lancashire
7 posts
Save Topic
new zeland in winter - good idea?

We (2 adults & 14yr old daughter) are planning a 3 week trip out to New Zealand within the next few weeks, most probably heading for Auckland to start. We have seriously been contemplating emigrating for many years and we now have the unexpected chance to go for a holiday. We love driving anywhere we go, but how the heck do we go about planning this in such a short period of time? Hopefully we would be looking for a trip that would make or break our decision to emigrate. Travelling during New Zealands winter would I feel not be detrimental to this decision but I really want to make it memorable one. What is a realistic itinerary to see as much of the islands as possible & would be it ok to find accomodation as we go? In anticipation, many thanks.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
744 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new zeland in winter - good idea?

The school holidays start again here in a couple of weeks so you may be wise to think about booking accommodation at popular places. Winter has just begun in earnest with many roads in the South Island closed because of snow so you should take the weather into account also. You probably need to give some thought to what areas you may like to visit in regard to your future plans to emigrate i.e. visiting the main cities or smaller towns.

Three weeks here should be enough give you an brief overview of N.Z. and help with your decisions for a move in the future.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new zeland in winter - good idea?

It is always a good idea to visit New Zealand any time of year only sometimes better than others.

Right now the lower South Island is under harsh blizzard conditions with road closures.

To get the most and the best out of your time while here drive north from Auckland in our sub-tropic climate. Also be sure to visit the Rotorua area and the Waitoma Caves area while running around up there.

I have a complete schedule on my travel guide that can help you decide what to do: www.newzealandtravelguide.net.

Enjoy!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new zeland in winter - good idea?

If you emigrated what sort of job situation would you be looking for? This will help in suggesting an itinerary. Have you any places you must visit/ have been recommended to visit?

With 3 weeks you will manage to see a good cross section of NZ with careful planing. Would you like the trip to be a combination of possible cities to emigrate to or will you just be keen to see as much as possible (if this is the case then alot of the tourist atractions are out of the cities and away from where you may end up)

If it's the Nth Island you think you'll end up living in then I would suggest 14 days so you can have a good look around followed by 7 in the south purely for sight-seeing. Reverse it if the Sth Island is your first choice. If it's just a tourist visit maybe 9 Nth Island/12 Sth island.

Come back with your thoughts and it will be no problem suggesting an itinerary that will suit you on such short notice........and put your mind at ease so you can focus on packing.

lancashire
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: new zeland in winter - good idea?

Thanks so much to those that have replied. I've responded individually to you.

Anyone done the same thing with the intentions of emigrating to work in education, particulalry those with behavioural problems? We are looking to contact several agencies while we're out there.

many thanks.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: new zeland in winter - good idea?

3 weeks.

Auckland. Head north drive out to Tutukaka. Nice beaches,Whale bay,Matapouri,Tutukaka lighthouse. Nice places to stay.

Go to doubtless bay or Paihia,. Nice beaches there. Also boat tours out of Paihia. Cape Reinga Top of north island. Great place to see.

Travel back down west coast Opononi,Waipoua kauri forest,Kai iwi lakes. Thats about 4-5 days.

Coromandel peninsula. Hot water beach,Cathedral cove,Hahei,Shakespere cliff{Cooks beach} 2 days

Rotorua,Tauranga,Whakatane. Mount Mauganui,White island,Geothermals,lakes,waterfalls.4-5 days.

Wellington. Ferry to sth island.

Kaikoura whale watching,seals on rocks side of road.Kaikoura coastal walkway. 1 days.

Christchurch. City centre.

Hamner springs hot pools. 1 day.

West coast sth island. 4 days. Punakaiki,Hokitika gorge,Glaciers,Lake Matheson,beaches,walking tracks.

Wanaka,Queenstown,Te Anau,Milford sound, 5 days.

Drive back to Christchurch through Lake Tekapo,Geraldine.trip ends.

Probably closer to 3 1/2 - 4 weeks.But allowing for weather conditions down sth island, which are very cold right now,roads are impassable due to snow.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new zeland in winter - good idea?

Have you actually been to New Zealand? Emigration is a very large step. When I was last in New Zealand I heard a very interesting statistic, 50% of people who emigrate return to their own country after 1 year and a further 25% after two years. New Zealand is a beautiful country and the Kiwis are fine people, think very carefully before you take such a large step.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,276 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new zeland in winter - good idea?

NZ weather is very fickle and locally variable. I got caught in a snowstorm on the Desert Rd last July and I see snow is again forecast for that area this weekend. Check carefully with the AA before setting out on any mountain roads.

Go to the Sydney Morning Herald website (www.smh.com.au) and follow links to their travel pages and a blog by a very good travel writer called Bruce Elder who is travelling in the South Island right now.

8. Re: new zeland in winter - good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 04, 2009