We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Auckland Airport

2 posts
Transfer from Auckland Airport

Hi. I am traveling from Auckland, NZ airport to Copthorne Hotel Bay of Islands, 1 Tau Henare Drive, New Zealand in October 2019. What is the best way to get there? It looks like it is about an hour drive. Is that correct? Are there transfer companies/drivers you would recommend? Do you know the approximate cost? Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
20,005 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Transfer from Auckland Airport

Hi Barbara,

The Copthorne hotel in the BOI is about 3.5 hours+ drive from Auckland airport. I suggest that you search for an Air NZ domestic flight special for your date. Flying is certainly quicker, and domestic flights for the BOI depart from the domestic terminal at Auckland airport.

Another option would be to go into the city centre for an Intercity bus to Paihia, and a short transfer by taxi to the Copthorne in Waitangi.

A shuttle transfer from Auckland airport to Waitangi will be expensive. I'm familiar with ABC shuttles being operating in Northland for 30 years. But look into the alternatives first, before considering a shuttle bus.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Transfer from Auckland Airport

You might want to take another look at a map. Auckland Airport to Paihia would be around about a 4 hour drive, assuming there are no delays on the road. There are almost always road works on that road that will delay you.

You could look at catching a domestic flight to Kerikeri and should be able to transfer to Paihia from there, but short of catching an Intercity Bus there'd be no transfers from Auckland.

2 posts
3. Re: Transfer from Auckland Airport

Thanks so much for your thorough and prompt response. I will continue to do my homework.

Picton, New Zealand
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Transfer from Auckland Airport

Ditto #1 and #2. For reference, it's 252 km (157 mi) by road from Auckland Airport to Paihia, and only 68 km of that is on motorways; the rest of the way you're driving on two-lane undivided roads.

Reply to: Transfer from Auckland Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted