We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days on the North Island, Auckland yes or no?

Southern california
Level Contributor
61 posts
115 reviews
109 helpful votes
5 days on the North Island, Auckland yes or no?

Hello,

Our family will be on the North Island mid January and are tying to maximize time, choose the best place to stay, etc. We are planning a night or two in Rotorua/Tuapo, my husband wants to check out Raglan surf but we don't need to stay there over night, want to do the Waitomo area blackwater raft trip, and try to see Coromandel and Waiheke. I thought we'd do two nights in Auckland and make it the base for Waiheke and Coromandel but looking at drive times, ferry location, etc, I'm not sure that's the best way. We don't need to see the city, we live in a city and have been to plenty, maybe Hamilton is a better base? Sorry, such an open ended question but I'd love to hear some input. Am going to post this in Hamilton forum as well.

3 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
16,507 posts
3,616 reviews
4,940 helpful votes
1. Re: 5 days on the North Island, Auckland yes or no?

Our visit to NZ had three reasons: Nature, nature, and nature.

We bypassed NZ cities.

California
Level Contributor
12,915 posts
72 reviews
33 helpful votes
2. Re: 5 days on the North Island, Auckland yes or no?

Hamilton is still a city. It's low and sprawling. It's got traffic and lots of double-lane roundabouts and at least one huge shopping mall complex. Cambridge is much quieter and "quaint". Lots of upscale horse property, so lots of rolling hills.

You are better off to plan your trip like a roadtrip, instead of basing yourself someplace.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
8 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: 5 days on the North Island, Auckland yes or no?

Itinerary:

Auckland 1 night

Rotorua 2 nights

Tongariro National Park 1 night

Hamilton 1 night (stop at Waitomo glow worm cave during the day)

5 nights do a loop of the North Island; if only 4 nights drop the national park

Reply to: 5 days on the North Island, Auckland yes or no?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted