We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks in and around Auckland

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
26 helpful votes
Walks in and around Auckland

I will be by myself in Auckland for 5 days late May. I am interested to do a day walk around town and further afield that I can reach via public transport.

Apart from coast2coast walk, any other ideas for walks for a few hours in and around the city i.e parks, gardens, coastal beaches, etc.

I won't have car so all starting points need to be accessible by buses or ferries or trains.

Thanks for your help.

6 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
43,223 posts
460 reviews
195 helpful votes
1. Re: Walks in and around Auckland

The ferry to Devonport and a walk to Cheltenham Beach is nice, or you could include the Navy Museum.

The three main Gulf Islands are easily accessible by ferry too. I strongly recommend at least one, depending on your interests.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2. Re: Walks in and around Auckland

Catch the ferry to Rangitoto and do the walk to the summit.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
3. Re: Walks in and around Auckland

Devonport would be my pick for a city walk. Lovely seaside suburb, with viewing points from Mt Victoria and North Head.

You could catch a Link bus to the Auckland Domain - Auckland hospital where the main entry into the Domain is located. Walk through the Domain to the Wintergarden and on to the Museum. Either walk down the steep hill footpath to Grafton Road backto the city centre or exit the Domain onto Parnell Road for a bus back to the city.

St Heliers beach to Kohimarama and on to Mission Bay and Okahu Bay follows the foreshore on a formed footpath. Buses stop outside Kelly Tarlton's for the city centre.

Cornwall Park is lovely, with its working farm and lookout summit. Catch a bus for Onehunga and get out at a Royal Oak stop or along Manukau Road to enter Cornwall Park.

Any of the gulf islands will give you walking tracks and scenery. Ferries from downtown go to the different islands for a day-trip.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
26 helpful votes
4. Re: Walks in and around Auckland

Thank you all for your kind advice. Will study the bus and ferry route and map my walk accordingly. Look forward to having a good walking time in Auckland!

Will report back when all is done.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
10,568 posts
509 reviews
449 helpful votes
5. Re: Walks in and around Auckland

rangitoto would be my best pick. take ferry to island, walk the volcanic fields to the top. take a torch to explore the lava tunnels. wear good walking footwear and take water and snacks.

auckland
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
22 reviews
23 helpful votes
6. Re: Walks in and around Auckland

...... but whatever you do be mindful that the weather is very changeable at the moment so be sure to wear/ take layers of clothing and rain wear..... I say this as I watch rain sweeping down the harbour then it stops and we have a bit of blue sky then it rains again... it’s windy and unsettled but not cold.... yet! Enjoy........

Reply to: Walks in and around Auckland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Auckland Central