We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel Auckland to Wellington?

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to travel Auckland to Wellington?

Hi

My teenage son, Jack is flying from UK to Auckland arriving at 12.10 on Sun17 June and needs to meet up with his ex-school pals who are already in Wellington. Can you suggest the best direct way for my son to get to Wellington from Auckland International Airport. He is not used to travel on his own and is keen to complete the journey rather than staying over in accommodation. Any other useful tips will be appreciated.

Thanks, Anne

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel Auckland to Wellington?

The most direct route would be to fly from Auckland to Wellington. Cost approx $NZ100. It is probably the cheapest as well taking into account time taken to travel the 600KMs.

There are two main airlines to choose from Qantas and Air New Zealand. Check out their respective websites for any on line specials and timetables.

www.qantas.co.nz

www.airnewzealand.co.nz.

Once in Wellington its about a $20 cab ride into the city.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel Auckland to Wellington?

Hi Anne,

I agree, he should fly. Make sure there is enough time between the international arrival and the national departure. He should follow the signs and walk from the international to the domestic terminal, chance to stretch his legs and not too hard. (10-15 mins)

Book the flights on line would be the easiest. There is a bit of renovation going on out there at the moment but he should still find his way no problem.

There is a train from Auckland to Wellington and numerous bus companies service the route but it's a long way and you probably have to get to the city for these and just walking to the domestic terminal would be much easier.

Hope this helps

Mandy

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel Auckland to Wellington?

Thank you beanb41 and Mandy for your good advice. I got a great Red e Deal fare online from Quantas with perfect timings for onward travel. Jack's friends are meeting him at Wellington airport. I dropped Jack off at Heathrow airport yesterday and received a text this morning to say he had arrived in Bangkok. He was sitting outside the gate waiting for the call to reboard for Sydney as he was nervous of missing the flight! Many thanks again to you both for your replies. Anne

4. Re: Best way to travel Auckland to Wellington?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, September 03, 2009