We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in New Zealand

Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Winter in New Zealand

Hello Guys,

I'm planning a 2 week trip to New Zeland with my wife and kid. We plan to cover the North and South islands by driving. Is it a good idea to drive in winter as I hear that some of the roads especially in the South islands might be slippery or closed. would it be safe for driving? Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks guys

Ganesh from Malaysia

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in New Zealand

Hi ElNina, 2 weeks isn't much time to drive both islands in the height of summer let alone in the middle of winter. You will be really pushing it to cover NZ in this amount of time and do it justice, especially with a child on board. You will spend most of your time driving with no time to check out the attractions and natural beauty of the place.

And yes, roads can be closed (not to mention the ferry can be cancelled as well) at the drop of a hat, no warning, the weather can be unpredictable! This can create havoc on a very tight itinerary.

Why don't you consider doing maybe 5 days in the Nth Island and then flying from Rotorua or Napier to Christchurch or Queenstown, then spend the rest of the time touring the Sth Island.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in New Zealand

The roads you will be travelling in NZ winter are completely different than you would be used to in Singapore. The weather will be very cold, many roads may have ive and or snow on them especially in the lower part of the South Island and through the middle of the north island. I am very much in agreement with Zappers that it would be to your advanatage to split or trip up.

If this is to be your only trip to NZ then split the trip in half and vist the best bits of both islands, but if you are coming back again I would use my time to visit the South Island which is at its best in Winter and being fro the tropics it will give you a new experience if not having been in the snow in the past.

Some f the distances you wil have to travel, maty require driving 6 or more hours at a time. This can vey tiring if not used toit henece you need to plan for plenty of breaks and also time to stop off and enjoy the benefits of NZ. If you use the whole two weks for continually driving you wl have a very tiring holiday and not g the best ou of your trip.

Give us an idea of what you want to do whilst in Nz and we will see what we can do to make or trip more memorable.

3. Re: Winter in New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:25 am, August 30, 2009