We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Eden, Auckland

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
christchurch...
5 posts
Save Topic
Mount Eden, Auckland

Will be staying with relatives soon in Mount Eden, Auckland.

Whilst I am aware it is 10 mins from Auckland central, what is is like, and where is there to go?

Any places to try out, and any places to avoid?

Southern England
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Eden, Auckland

Hi there Man of Dorset - my wife and I were in Auckland last December and did drive through Mt Eden on the hop-on-hop-off tourist bus. We found it to be a very pleasant seeming place, kind of colonial style with some very old wooden ship-lapped buildings. We would have liked to spent some time there to have a walk-about, but there never is enough time for everything. One can go up the 'Mount' to get a panoramic 360 vista and there is the Auckland Museum also on the same bus route - it is not to be missed and allow yourself plenty of time for that - you won't 'do it' in just half a day! Parnell is another small town nearby with art galleries etc. Akld we found to be very noisy, but has got to be worth a visit. Anything else I can assist with, please ask!

By the way we live in Highcliffe.

Regards

Dave & Chris

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Eden, Auckland

You must go to the top of the mount itself because you can view the whole of the city from there - its an amazing view. We sat up there for about an hour just looking at the view of the city.

We went to a couple of restaurants / cafes while we were there (Feb 05) and wouldn't recommend either of them. Frasers was busy but you are crammed in and the service is atrocious!!(very rude staff who make you feel unwelcome - going there really spoiled our last night in NZ) De Poste is a belgian bar, very expensive to eat and drink and the food is very average.

I believe that circus circus is good for food and drinks, I wish we had tried that one instead.

Auckland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Eden, Auckland

Bowmans in Mt Eden Rd is one of the best Restaurants in Auckland (food quality and pricing). Mt Eden is a great place to be based - very central. If your in to walking there is a 16km coast to coast walk that passes through Mt Eden.

christchurch...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Eden, Auckland

How ironic, that I get a reply from someone two miles down the road from home, and two miles down the road from Mount Eden.

Can I ask ThreeKings, what Bowmans is like, as it is not in my travel guide or on the mount eden web site, is it new? The walk sounds interesting, do you have any more details?

Auckland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Eden, Auckland

Have a look at www.bowmans.co.nz.

It is about 1km from the Mt Eden shops.

The Coast to Coast walk starts at the info centre at Viaduct harbour and ends in Onehaunga. Goes from one side of the Isthmus to the other and takes in quite a few of the local landmarks.

Cheers

Stewart

England
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Eden, Auckland

Hello

We were in Auckland during January 2004. We did the Coast to Coast Walk and found it really enjoyable. Definitely worth goint up Mount Eden for fantastic views. Although we enjoyed Auckland, I agree that there are some great places nearby which are well worth a visit. We headed up north and really enjoyed the Kauri Museum (albeit ia rainy day and so options were limited).

We had a lovely meal over in Devonport at the 'Monsoon Restaurant' during our stay. We stayed at the 'Mercure Hotel' in Auckland which was adequate (fantastic views of the harbour from the restaurant) but nothing to write home about.

Loved NZ and would return there tomorrow!!