We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this the way out of Auckland airport?

Texas
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is this the way out of Auckland airport?

Ok, go ahead and laugh, but I like to be prepared!

Do I have this right on how to get on the road out of the airport heading to the Bay of Islands:

From Airport take 20 North

Cross the Mangere Bridge

Take right on Neilson Street (East)

Take left on 1 heading North through Auckland

I recently read a post from someone from Scotland saying they got lost coming out of the airport... so I thought I'd look into it :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this the way out of Auckland airport?

Who me? laugh? never!

Well, you could go this way but I think you might get a little bamboozled at the end around Great South Road, there are a couple of railbridges and sharp turns before finding your way onto the Southern Motorway heading north. The quickest way back to town is actually travelling further on up 20 and turning into Hillsborough Road but this again wouldn't be easy for you to follow. So IMO (and others may not agree) it would be better to head south from the airport to Manakau and get on the Southern Motorway heading north there.

Here's the directions;

When you leave the airport DON'T turn left into George Bolt Memorial Drive (SH20a) which is at the first round-about just outside the parking area of the International, go straight ahead following Tom Pearce Drive which runs into Puhinui Rd after a couple of dog legs. Follow this through until you reach SH20(this is further down from where you were going to join it on your directions). Turn right onto 20 then left into Wiri Station Rd (still 20) along past the Manakau Shopping complex and onto the Southern Motorway (SH1) heading north to Auckland city. It sounds a bit complicated but it's actually only one right turn and one left turn before you do a final left onto the motorway.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this the way out of Auckland airport?

PS- These are also the directions for anyone heading south from Auckland Airport to get onto the Southern Motorway, the junction has on ramps for both directions.

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this the way out of Auckland airport?

Hi TxNative

Your question is completely justified, as the road heading way from Auckland Airport is not particularly well signposted, and it is very easy to get lost.

We have had several guests saying they got lost getting through Auckland.

Zapper's directions look good so go with those !

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this the way out of Auckland airport?

Hi TxNative

Zappers description to get you onto the motorway is pretty good. It is easier than you think as there are signposts for the motorway and directions to Manukau and South, which is what you want when following this route, Because when you get to the Southern Motorway, highway 1, you can go south as well as north. Just to be careful, as it is not briliantly signposted when you get to the end of Wiri Station Road, but remember to stay in the left lane at the end of Wiri Station road. This is because if you stay in any of the other lanes (the road widens into four lanes at this point) you could end up heading off down an entirely different route.

The route you described yourself is not as user friendly as the signage is bad and it requires a couple of other turns to make it work.

Just an aside, we exit to the left not the right here.

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
240 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this the way out of Auckland airport?

TxNative, you are well underway on your trip but I'm finally getting to the nitty-gritty details of ours and thank you for posting the question on the directions. Like you, I want all the details organized! I typed them up in an easy to read format for our Dec. trip, if anyone else wants them:

From Auckland Airport, head SOUTH from the airport to Manakau and get on the Southern Motorway heading north there. Directions:

When you leave the airport (DON'T turn left into George Bolt Memorial Drive (SH20a) which is at the first round-about just outside the parking area of the International Terminal)

Go straight ahead following Tom Pearce Drive -- which turns into Puhinui Rd after a couple of dog legs.

Follow Puhinui Rd until you reach SH20 (about 3 km from airport)

Turn RIGHT onto SH20 and go about 2 km then LEFT onto Wiri Station Rd (still SH20)

Look for signposts for the motorway and directions to Manukau and South

Go about 3 km on Wiri Station Road (past the Manakau Shopping complex)

Stay in the left lane at the end of Wiri Station Road (the road widens into four lanes at this point and if you stay in any of the other lanes you could end up heading down an entirely different route. It is not briliantly signposted when you get to the end of Wiri Station Road).

Turn LEFT onto the Southern Motorway (SH1) heading north to Auckland city.

It helped to look at a map and see the route, because it does seem contrary to go south/away from Auckland, but once I did that you definitely see that it makes sense. (I remember our cab driver going the Hillsborough route last time and even though we had only been in Auckland for about 30 minutes and were very jet-lagged, I thought “I could never figure this out on my own even if we were wide awake!”) Since we’re driving ourselves this time, it’s great to have these directions. Thanks Zappers, LuptonLodge and Kiwi_Acct. (And please straighten me out if I made a wrong turn here!)

6. Re: Is this the way out of Auckland airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, August 20, 2009