We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastland/Hawkes Bay

hamilton, N Z
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Eastland/Hawkes Bay

Hi We are a family of 5 and travelling a little bit around the East coast in January. Can anyone suggest a motel in Napier for 5 people that is nice and probably in town. Looked at the Te Pania hotel but we needed 2 rooms at at that time of the year it would be about $500 per night. After 2 nights in Napier we are going to Gisborne for 2 nights. Have a choice of 2 places that looked good can anyone give me any inside info on either of these.Ocean beach motor lodge or Portside hotel. One is at the beach but I cant decide if it would be better to be in town. We will spend 7 nights at the Mount at the end. So we dont desperately need to be by the beach in Gisborne. Then we have 1 night at Hicks Bay. Not much of a choice there. Can anyone suggest a couple of good family things to do in Gisborne and somewhere to eat and also in Napier we will do Splash Planet again and I would like to go to a nice vineyard for lunch on one of the days. Can anyone suggest a good vineyard for a family. Thxs Any advise would be appreciated

New Zealand
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eastland/Hawkes Bay

Go and see the gannets in Napier - a good half day trip.

Napier
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Eastland/Hawkes Bay

If you book in nearer the time, you will get a cheaper deal unless the hotel is fully booked. Te Pania Hotel is the best in the area and has a very slick management and friendly staff. I would stay away from the Mission Concert Weekend (27 Jan 07) as the city is fully booked. I recommend that you look at www.wotif.co.nz 3 weeks before arriving to NZ. I'm sure that you will get a better deal and if you are lucky Te Pania Hotel will be listed. You don't need to pre-book as there is plenty of accommodation in Hawke's Bay anyway. Wait until you arrive or check out the distressed inventory (last-minute) websites for a sharp deal nearer the time. Enjoy your trip to NZ :-)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eastland/Hawkes Bay

For Napier- this is 10 minutes drive from the city but has great family facilities- Deco Lodge in Onekawa. Have stayed here often when visiting family and it's great.

http://www.decocity.co.nz/

For one on the beach but still a 5 minutes drive (20minute walk along Marine Parade) try Pebble Beach. Be aware that the beach along Marine Parade is not suitable for swimming, there is a very steep drop off, big breakers and lots of shingle. Westshore on the other side of the hill is much safer or any Te Awanga and/or Clifton further around the Bay towards Cape Kidnappers. http://www.pebblebeach.co.nz/index.html

I would also book ahead of time to be sure to get what you want and not just the dregs left by the hoards of holiday makers that visit the Bay in January.

Te Pania would be just about your only choice in town as the city area is hemmed in by sea and the Hill and taken up by shops businesses and the older homes. Te Pania is nice but it is just another chain hotel.

For the vineyard lunch either Church Road Winery (in Taradale)- it has a great relaxed indoor and outdoor eating area and our extended family eats & meets here whenever we are in town.

On your way to Gisborne and if you have time make a slight detour to Mahia Peninsula, in particular Mahia Beach for a swim if time is short. This area is stunning and a drive along to the end of the Peninsula at low tide is well worth the effort- it is a metal road for some of the way, a bit twisty but at the end of the road you can drive along the beach for miles as well. On the northern side the papa rock tidal pools, stretch out into the sea for a couple of hundred meters or so and are great to explore-some are very deep and hold lots of sealife you wouldn't normally see. You could use most of the day exploring this area.

Just north of Mahia on the SH2 are the Morere Hot Pools another place worth a stop (great country pub next door for lunch) they have a wonderful walk through the Nikau Palms and native bush. There is a cold water pool if the day is hot.

Funnily enough I was born and raised in Napier so of course know HB well, our family holidays were often in the Mahia area and I now live In Tauranga but have really only passed through Gisborne so I can't help you with anything there but if you have any queries on your time at the Mount don't hesitate to post.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eastland/Hawkes Bay

Sorry, the other winery I was going to mention is Crab Farm in Bay View, which is 15 minutes north of the city.

www.crabfarmwinery.co.nz/restaurant.html

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eastland/Hawkes Bay

JBR, just another though is you're looking for things to do on the trip to Gisborne- a great walk 1/2 hr north of Napier is White Pine Bush, nice area to have a picnic too, number 7 on this website.

www.doc.govt.nz/Community/004~New-Zealand-Conservation-Authority-and-Boards/NZCA/New-Zealands-Walkways/014~East-Coast-Hawkes-Bay.asp#7

and another side visit to the mouth of the mighty Mohaka River (turn off just before you get to the viaduct bridge at Putorino) is worth it as well- after a storm there is always lots of huge pumice rocks that have been washed down from the central plateau area.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eastland/Hawkes Bay

that word is "thought"

hamilton, N Z
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eastland/Hawkes Bay

hi Thank you all for your reply. I was planning to visit Mahia on the way to Gisborne and have lunch there. But after a swim we will lunch at the pub near the hot pools. Thanks for the places of interest to visit. I will look up the motels mentioned. I think from memory that I have looked up Pebble Beach before and it is not good for a family of 5. Lots of places are like that,. we should only have had 2 kids. Church Road is my favourite wine so I will definately go there now that I know that it is family friendly. We also love going to Mills Reef in Tga. At the mount we usually stay at The Oceanside Towers if I am feeling rich or somewhere else close by if I am feeling poorer but this year we are planning to stay at the Pacific Palms Papamoa. Have seen it from the outside but never been in. It is reasonably priced for the week and sounds o.k. Cant find anything about it on this site. Do you know much about it or anyone who has been there. Thanks for your help JBR

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eastland/Hawkes Bay

I'd be curious about any reviews of the Pacific Palms Resort in Papamoa, too. I;'ve looked at the Mount Mar. area...Pavillions looks nice but it's booked when I want to go + seven day minimum.

hamilton, N Z
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eastland/Hawkes Bay

Hi Travelingmanspokane. Just returned from the Pacific Palms today after 1 week. We had a 2 bedroom upstairs unit and it was spacious and very comfortable. It only had 1 bathroom but the lounge and kitchen area was a good size. We looked out to the heated pool and spa pool and we all used the tennis courts. The location is very handy to local shops and cafes and the beach is 2 blocks away. We have stayed in many apartments in the Mount and Papamoa area and i would return to Pacific Palms as it has a casual relaxed mediteranean feel. I felt it was a little far away from the beach as we normally stay as close to the beach as we can get but then the price goes up considerably. So this was good value for the money. At the Mount(Maunganui) we stay in the Oceanside which is right next to the Pavillions. These properties are facing out to the ocean with a road and then the beach. The Mount is a lot busier and has a more touristy feel. There are excellent hot salt water mineral pools around the corner and a harbour on one side and the ocean beach on the other. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for and do you want ocean views. If the Pavillions was full try the Oceanside but ask for an ocean view in the Tower block(10 stories high) One side faces the ocean and the other side faces the harbour. I have also stayed in a couple of others in the Mount but the Oceanside Towers is the best for view and size of apartment it also has a swimming pool and spa pool and gym If an oceanview isn't a priority and you want a quieter location then I would recommend Pacific Palms. There is also a big difference in price between the Pavillions, Oceanside Towers and then Pac. Palms. It also depends what time of the year you are coming to the area. If I can answer any more questions dont hesitate to ask. Thxs Jane

hamilton, N Z
Level Contributor
53 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eastland/Hawkes Bay

Travelingman Pacific palms does a nightly rate and Oceanside Towers does a 2 night minimun I also thought Pavillions did a lesser time than 7 nights so you must be travelling peak times