We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island Heaven

Scotland
5 posts
Save Topic
North Island Heaven

Hello again,

I have already been given advice through this forum and it has been very helpful. My husband and I have almost completed our Honeymoon itinerary for three weeks in the South and the North Island during January 2007, but we have still to decide on where in the North Island to spend 4 or 5 days to completely relax before flying out of Auckland towards Hong Kong. Ideally, we would like to stay in the Coromandel or Bay of Plenty area, but we don't want anywhere too "touristy". We would love a place near a beautiful beach and within walking distance of restaurants. I know it is asking a lot, but it would be great if someone could give a personal recommendation for comfortable quiet accommodation. Since it is our honeymoon, I would love to end our New Zealand visit on a high note.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island Heaven

highland-chick, really if you're wanting beaches and restaurants (more than one or two) then you would need to stay at Mt Maunganui or Whitianga. Being January, it will be busy but not with tourists more with Kiwis on holiday and probably not busy as you would think. Still lots of beach space and empty stretches.

And for good accomodation in both areas you would be better to hire a holiday home or bach. As you'll be aware you do need to book soon due to the holiday time. Check out this website

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/regions.asp

If this doesn't appeal, do a search for lodges or upmarket B&Bs in these areas, there are some lovely ones around.

Just to confuse you, how about this one on Hahei Beach- close your eyes and transport yourself.................

www.haheioceanfront.co.nz/accommodation.asp

Hahei is a beautiful beach not far from Whitianga- 10mins by pedestrian ferry but 45mins by car. At that time of the year the ferry will run until late so you can still visit the restaurants in Whitianga.

uk
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island Heaven

We have been to n.z. three times and go back again this jan!! Forget touristy in N.Z. (except may be Rotorua), as compared to Europe, they just dont do it!! Whilst Mt. M. is great beach, there are more kiwis there than the other places, it is their holiday home place and more accommodation than most places, so i would go for the Coromandel area. If you have a car, you can discover lots of little bays - though check out the swimming cos one or two have rip tides.

london
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Island Heaven

for boutique accomodation look at turquoise holidays site.

i think you would like either the coromandel or the bay of islands.

good luck and happy honeymooning

East Coast Scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Island Heaven

Thanks to everyone who replied, we have decided on Whitianga, and have booked a luxury apartment in the Mercury Bay Beachfront Motel. The website looks good. We can't wait, but it is good browsing the websites to see some of the stunning locations and the top class Hotels, (most of those, we couldn't afford!)

All we have left to do is; choose a car hire company in the North Island, and find accommodation at the Franz Josef or Fox Glacier.

Wish me luck.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Island Heaven

Hi,

Don't miss out The Fireplace restaurant when you are in Whitianga. Good food and great ambience.

May I suggest a lovely place if you are looking for a quiet accommodation in Franz?

Check out Glenfern villa, a short 3-5 min drive to the township of franz.

first-new-zealand-trip.com/new-zealand-motel…

Enjoy your honeymoon...

Doris

6. Re: North Island Heaven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 19, 2009