We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland and Rotorua travel itinerary - suggestion needed

Penang
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland and Rotorua travel itinerary - suggestion needed

Hi, I'll be travelling to New Zealand on May for 50th Rotorua Marathon, and will spend few days at Rotorua and Auckland. I've made a travel itinerary but need suggestions whether is it feasible, practical, or anything I shouldn't miss or missable.

I'll be travelling alone, transmute by public transport. On tight budget, staying hostel, and try to skip whichever that need a higher entrance fees.

Day 1 - Arrive late check in nothing else

Day 2 - Pre-race day, noting much plan but rest. Visit race venue at Energy Center, then Government Garden, Lake front and surrounding.

Day 3 - A.M. - race. Afternoon. - Saturday Morning Rotorua Market (if time permit), Kuirau park, Ohinemutu Maori Village, Museum

Day 4 - A.M. Recovery run in Redwoods. Afternoon - ?

-- This is the plan in Rotorua. Question: Travel alone, is it possible to visit further into Redwoods, such as Blue and Green lake etc? What to fit in on Day 4 afternoon? I'd like to visit more of nature and is that possible?

-- Question: What's the recommendation for night?

-- Any other recommendation?

Day 5 - Depart to Auckland. Arrive afternoon/evening - Walk around waterfront.

Day 6 - Morning - Devonport. Afternoon - Auckland Museum, and surrounding.

Day 7 - Waiheke

Day 8 - Morning - Mt Eden/One Tree Hill? Afternoon - Auckland Art Gallery. Leave NZ midnight.

Q: What are the activities in Waiheke? Can fit in other in that day?

Q: Is it able to fit in other destination such as Muriwai Beach etc?

Q: How much time I should allocate to travel to airport if the flight is midnight?.

Thanks.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland and Rotorua travel itinerary - suggestion needed

At night try and fit in a Maori Culture evening at Mitai (take the Combo and vist Rainbow Springs as well), Tamaki or Te Po (Te Puia). Not cheap but includes your meal, entertainment and sightseeing. You could visit Eat Street at the lake end of Tutaneki St and choose from a range of restaurants.

Day 4. Perhaps a morning shuttle to Waiotapu to see Lady Knox Geyser. Look on the Rotorua website for more information. www.rotoruanz.com

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,203 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland and Rotorua travel itinerary - suggestion needed

Muriwai is an out of the way area to visit, unless you have public transport. You could take a tour, except I see your budget is tight.

If the cost of a tour is possible, you could visit Muriwai on day 8. The best way to access inner city sights is via the Explorer bus which is affordable and conveninet. Day 6 could be a mix of a ferry ride across harbour, and using the Explorer bus to reach the places you've identified - http://www.explorerbus.co.nz/

Waiheke is a pretty island located in the Hauraki Gulf. Fullers ferry booking offices sell a boat and bus fare which allows you access to the bus service. It's also possible to disembark at Devonport on the return to Auckland city, stroll around this seaside suburb and catch a later ferry across harbour - http://www.fullers.co.nz/.

Penang
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland and Rotorua travel itinerary - suggestion needed

Hi ValGee, thanks for your reply. Maori Culture evening seems a good choice (at first not consider due to the price). Any difference between the villages?

Day 4 recovery run in Redwoods was part of the activity with Rotorua Marathon so I'll still go for it. As I check Lady Knox Geyser erupted once daily at 10:15 a.m. I guess I not able to make it.

Is there any activity at Redwoods or nearby that I can continue from there before go back for Maori Culture evening?

Penang
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland and Rotorua travel itinerary - suggestion needed

Hi Frangipani08, thanks for your reply.

My flight will on Day 8 midnight (0000 of Day 9), how long should I spare to depart to airport? If I were to visit Muriwai beach, will there be enough time?

I'd consider your suggestion on Day 6. How much time should I allocate for Devonport? Is Deconport and Museum in one day feasible?

How much time to allocate for Waiheke?

Thanks.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland and Rotorua travel itinerary - suggestion needed

After the Redwoods, you could try Grumpys Lmousines for a sightseeing trip to Blue , Green & Okareka Lakes, Buried Village and on to Lake Tarawera or you may feel like a soak and possibly a massage at the Polynesian Spa. If you have not managed to fit in the Museum I suggest you go there after the Redwoods.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,203 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland and Rotorua travel itinerary - suggestion needed

You need to spare at least 2 hours for airport processing. Aim to arrive at international checkin by 10pm at latest.

If you plan on taking a tour to Muriwai, do this activity on the morning of your final day - day 8. Use day 6 to combine many of your Auckland city interests on the same day, using the Explorer service.

For Waiheke, the 10am sailing from Auckland provides for a ferry and tour of the island. Return on the 2pm vessel, or later. Sailings are hourly during peak daytime hours.

7. Re: Auckland and Rotorua travel itinerary - suggestion needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 25, 2015