We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island itinerary for a week at Xmas time

Gold Coast...
2 posts
Save Topic
North Island itinerary for a week at Xmas time

I'm trying to plan a trip to the North Island between Xmas and New Year. I'm planning to fly to Auckland, then hire a car and maybe visit Rotorua, Taupo, and also take in the Coromandel peninsula (Whitianga region). However I'm a bit worried that it will be really busy in these places around this time. We're interested in visiting some thermal pools/spas, seeing some great scenery, doing some quiet walks and generally having a peaceful, relaxing time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island itinerary for a week at Xmas time

Hi - yes it will be busy but as long as you book accommodation you should be fine. Traffic is busiest on the roads on Christmas Eve, Boxing day and the day after as people leave the city for holiday destinations. Many people don't go away until the New Year. We travel to Coromandel at this time and as long as you are prepared for slightly heavier traffic, you will be fine.

Whitianga gets very busy at this time with thousands of holiday makers - especially many young people who attend Coro Gold, a New Year's Eve concert. As I said, just make sure you book accommodation!

Edited: 7:24 am, May 24, 2013
Gold Coast...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island itinerary for a week at Xmas time

Thanks for the advice, Scottygirl, it's much appreciated. I think I'll steer clear of Whitianga if there is going to be a big event there (although the Lost Spring Spa did sound very appealing!) and perhaps concentrate on visiting Rotorua and Taupo.

3. Re: North Island itinerary for a week at Xmas time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 31, 2014