We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island in early November

Subang Jaya...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
North Island in early November

We are a family of 5 from Kuala Lumpur. My children are 13, 10 & 8yo. We are planning for a trip to NZ in November and would like to get some feedback on itinerary. This is our first time in NZ. I've been reading some of the post in the forum and also from other websites and have some basic info of where we want to go.

Fri 15/11 Depart KLIA 8.50am

Sat 16/11 Day #1 AKL 00.05am Auckland

Sun 17/11 Day#2 Auckland

Mon 18/11 Day#3 Auckland – Coromandel (166km 2hrs) - Whitianga: 46km 1/2hrs

Tue 19/11 Day#4 Whitianga – Tauranga (168km 2 ¼ hrs)

Wed 20/11 Day#5 Tauranga - Rotorua (82km 1hr)

Thurs 21/11 Day#6 Rotorua – Taupo (76km 1hr)

Fri 22/11 Day#7 Taupo – Waitomo caves (163km 2 hrs)

Sat 23/11 Day#8 Waitomo caves - Auckland (198km 2 1/2hrs)

Sun 24/11 Depart AKL 14.30 KLIA 20.20

nz
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: North Island in early November

Suggestion only: choose 1 place (mine would be Rotorua) and stay 2 nights somewhere. that gives to time to unpack and relax a bit. Im not sure if you realize or not but even though the driving times are not long the roads you are travelling on can be quite windy which is more tiring especially for children sitting in the backseat. (try to make stops along the way)

I would miss out say Tauranga ** and go straight from Whitianga to Rotorua (via Paeroa & Te Aroha). 245km (about 3 hours 20?). (**Yes, there is a nice beach at Mt Maunganui and a neat walk around the base of the mountain+hot pools if you do decide to go there but not many different things other things to do there especially as water will still pretty cold to swim at beach in Nov.)

Leave earlier in the mornings, try to arrive at your destination by say 3pm which gives time to settle in and explore before dinner etc.

All the best for your trip.

Subang Jaya...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: North Island in early November

Thank you for your suggestion. That was what I wanted to hear from the locals. We are morning people so we always start early in the morning.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,665 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Island in early November

To follow up what has been recommended by kereru10 - since Nov is not going to be beach weather for you, I'd also suggest you skip the ON stop in Tauranga and drive on to Rotorua, to stay 2 nights. You could also stay 2 nights in Taupo and do Waitomo as a lunch stop enroute to AKL. There is more choice of accommodation and places to eat in Taupo, but in November you could "wait-and-see"! If it is raining in Taupo drive through to Waitomo as you can always do the Caves in the rain!! Also I recommend that you allow an hour or so for the Hamilton Gardens. They will be looking fabulous in November.

Edited: 8:18 am, May 13, 2013
nz
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Island in early November

Rotorua - A nice break infrom the Touristy things is the Hamurana Springs (a short walk) very relaxing with lovely clear water or near the other end of Lake Rotorua is the Okere falls (about a 15min bush walk) beautiful natural scenery.

Subang Jaya...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: North Island in early November

We will be arriving into AKL at 00.05am and considering the 10hr flights and the children we need to check into an airport hotel for the night before moving to a more central located hotel on the next day. Any suggestion on the hotels that can accommodate the 5 of us?

6. Re: North Island in early November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 03, 2014