We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best bird watching spot/tour

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
12 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Best bird watching spot/tour

Hi everyone,

We are going to be on the North Island for 10 days at the beginning of September and are trying to narrow down our list of to dos to a reasonable amount. I have found lots of options all over the island for bird watching, but is there a place or a tour that is a can't miss? At this point we are considering Kapiti Island, the Napier gannets, the Kiwi encounter near Rotorua (which sounds more like a zoo) or a night walk at Waipoua Forest. Can anyone help us narrow it down?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
Napier
Napier
Hawke's Bay Region, New Zealand
Kiwi International Hotel
Kiwi International Hotel
749 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Waipoua Forest
Waipoua Forest
201 Reviews
Waipoua Forest, New Zealand
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,430 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best bird watching spot/tour

The twilight bush-walk at Waipoua is awesome, but have you also considered Tiritiri-Matangi island in Auckland's Hauraki Gulf for a day tour?

Take the Tiri ferry-cruise from downtown Auckland, and amble the native bush walks and grassed areas for spectacular interaction with a number of native birds seen in the daytime. Tiritiri-Matangi island itself is scenic and historical.

Mentioned in this post
Waipoua Lodge
Waipoua Lodge
471 Reviews
Waipoua Forest, New Zealand
Tiritiri Matangi Island
Tiritiri Matangi Island
1,708 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
12 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best bird watching spot/tour

Thank you! I did read about that one initially but it looked quite a ways out, after looking into it more I think that's a great option, thanks for your help!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best bird watching spot/tour

Miranda Shorebird Centre in Thames is said to be the best shore bird watching area in NZ. It lists 131 species including 43 waders. I not a bird watcher, but were amazed at the number of birds. For native birds, I recommend a sanctuary or Ulva Island in Stewart Island

Mentioned in this post
Miranda Holiday Park
Miranda Holiday Park
286 Reviews
Thames, New Zealand
Thames
Thames
Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand
Wanganui
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best bird watching spot/tour

Try Bushy Park Homestead and Forest near Wanganui. Also look on the website nzbirds.com - great information on lots of bird watching spots.

5. Re: Best bird watching spot/tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 25, 2014