We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotorua, Waitomo, Tongariro - How many days / nights?

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Rotorua, Waitomo, Tongariro - How many days / nights?

Hi,

I driving from Auckland early morning and will cover Rotorua, Waitomo Caves and do the scenic flight from Chateau, Tongariro National Park.

From Tongariro I plan to continue driving on to Wellington and then South Island.

How many days / nights is good to spend here, considering my above plan?

Does Rotorua require a full day or I can include one of the other sites without over-exerting?

Thanks,

Kapil

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Te Pare Historic Reserve
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Coromandel Forest Park
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Te Porere Redoubt
Historic Sites, National Parks, Hiking Trails
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotorua, Waitomo, Tongariro - How many days / nights?

Rotorua is one of New Zealand's top tourist destinations, on a par with Queenstown. It is noted for its geothermal activity (geysers and hot springs), Maori cultural experiences, scenery, fishing, and tourist activities such as the luge, Agrodome and gondola. Many visitors enjoy staying there for two or three days, sometimes more.

Without knowing your interests, or what you want from your holiday in New Zealand, it's a bit hard to advise you on how long to stay in Rotorua. Given what you've described above, maybe it would be better for you to go to Waitomo, then continue on down to Tongariro for the scenic flight. It seems a waste of time to divert to Rotorua for a couple of hours visit.

By the way, how many days are you planning for the Auckland-Wellington trip? It's not clear from the description above.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotorua, Waitomo, Tongariro - How many days / nights?

Rotorua at least one day and preferably two. One day Waitomo and if the scenic flight is all you are doing at Tongariro then one day will be enough there

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,680 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rotorua, Waitomo, Tongariro - How many days / nights?

If you planning to actually visit Tongariro NP then I think 4 nights would be minimum:

1. Akl to Waitomo Caves to Rotorua

2. Explore Rotorua

3. Rotorua to Wai-o-tapu to Taupo for lunch to TNP

4. Scenic flight; short hikes

5. drive to Wellington.

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
4. Re: Rotorua, Waitomo, Tongariro - How many days / nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 09, 2014