We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Island with two young kids in Winter

Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
North Island with two young kids in Winter

I've posted a similar question on the south island forum, but am interested in north island opinions too!

Travelling for only a week in mid-July, at end of an OZ business and barrier reef trip. No room for extreme winter clothes (ie no snowsuits/boots etc. though of course we'll bring coats/sweaters!)! Two young kids - ages 4 and 2. Have been dreaming of visiting NZ for years and know that only a week is very limiting, but sadly it's all we can do. My view is better one week than nothing !

What should we do in this time, to keep kids happy and adults too! Our flights are in and out of Auckland, but I'd prefer to be out of a city and see the natural beauty, maybe thermal areas and Maori culture. Just love nature! Know it's winter.

Any suggestions/recommendations/info would be greatly appreciated.

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: North Island with two young kids in Winter

Re sand dunes - you can take the short ferry ride across Hokianga Harbour from Opononi wharf and try sand boarding there. Otherwise either do a Cape Reinga tour or hire a board in Ahipara and find some dunes near the road on the way up the 90 Mile Beach coast. Ahipara Adventure Centre could suggest suitable places for the kids.