We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend new year eve ?

Geneva
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend new year eve ?

Hello,

We will be in New Zealand with my wife for 3 weeks at the end of 2012 beginning of 2013.

On the New Year Eve we will be in the north island (itinerary not decided yet). We are 30 but not looking especially to get drunk and celebrate all night in a noisy festival. It is an option though ;)

The other option, opposite one actually, would be to be in a nice place at the sea, not a big city more like a town, and celebrate quietly there.

Thank you very much in advance,

Barth

Do you have any advices ? opinions ?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend new year eve ?

The popular beach destinations of the Coromandel and Bay of Islands are generally the busiest places in the country on New Years Eve. I avoid these areas like the plague as I can't stand crowds and the traffic congestion in to and out of these areas on the days either side of New Year - particularly the road in and out of the Coromandel.

There is just about always a festival of some sort in the Coromandel, but keep an eye out for announcements as tickets to the most popular ones sell out, as does accommodation.

A quieter, and IMO better, option might be to look at a lake side stay somewhere like Taupo or Rotorua. Blue Lake on the outskirts of Rotorua has a gorgeous little beach and there is a popular holiday park across the road.

If you don't mind wild, windy black-sand beaches, you could always head for the much quieter West Coast. Taranaki is lovely that time of year with some great walks in Egmont National Park. You could spend New Years Eve enjoying the Festival of the Lights.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend new year eve ?

You could also head out to Gisborne for Rythmn and Vines, bearing in mind that Gisborne is quite out of the way.

http://rhythmandvines.co.nz/

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend new year eve ?

Hi barth,

Waiheke Island would be a good choice with its vineyard cafes, beachfront bars, and local muso's. Oneroa, Ostend and Onetangi dance-parties tend to be the happening places to see the new year in.

Good range of acommodation from B&B's eco-lodges, beachfront apartments and holiday home rentals. The island is 35 minutes by passenger ferry from downtown Auckland and 40 minutes by car-ferry from Half Moon bay marina in east Auckland. The island has a very good transport system with local buses as well as taxis, charter & sightseeing tours, and rental scooters and vehicles.

There is plenty to see and do on the island of wines; in addition to the wonderful beaches, and boutique wineries.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend new year eve ?

Have you seen the NZ sceptics promo that includes rythm and vines? BTW all the NZ sceptics clips are worth a look.. very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O6PnL2JMq0

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend new year eve ?

Snodge, those sceptics films are great. I hadn't heard of them before. Is that how Air NZ are advertising in Aussie?

I especially love the one with the true blue Aussie bloke - it's hilarious.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend new year eve ?

"Is that how Air NZ are advertising in Aussie?"

Oskar, all I know is that they're on youtube. My daughter and her partner brought them to our attention just the other day. Glad you enjoyed them too. Not that my kids are NZ sceptics, but they're the right age group so whoever is marketing through them they must be doing the job :o)

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend new year eve ?

Hi guys, I will be in Auckland for NYE too. Any suggestions? I am looking for a party,concerts.... anything good... possibly in the city.

Cheers:)

Auckland Region...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to spend new year eve ?

Head to BW Campgrounds in Gisborne then go to Rhythm & Vines.. best ever www.bwcampgrounds.co.nz and www.rhythmandvines.co.nz

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to spend new year eve ?

Thanks a lot. I sounds very cool and I would love to go, but unfortunately we won't have much time so we will stay in Auckland. Any suggestions for NYE in Auckland (city)?

Cheers

10. Re: Where to spend new year eve ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, December 17, 2013