We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to kerikeri/kauri cliffs from auckland

la jolla, CA
1 post
Save Topic
driving to kerikeri/kauri cliffs from auckland

can anyone tell me what the drive is like from auckland to kauri cliffs? i am trying to decide whether to fly or drive. i have two small kids, age 3 and 6, and neither flying in a small plane nor driving for 4 hours sounds very appealing. Which would be better? Is the road between Auckland and Kerikeri windy and mountainous? One of my kids is prone to motion sickness. Thanks for your input.....

Alexandria, VA
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to kerikeri/kauri cliffs from auckland

I drove from Auckland to Russell two years ago and the roads were pretty sraightforward. I do not recall anything challenging about them. If you arrive in Auckland in the afternoon I believe that the drive will put you into Kauri Cliffs fairly late once you retrieve your bags and rental car so I'd opt for a flight to KeriKeri. I'm extremely jealous of your trip to NZ. My wife and I spent three weeks traveling the north island together. I hope we get back soon (that's why I was checking tripadvisor).

Australia
Level Contributor
365 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to kerikeri/kauri cliffs from auckland

Hello, I would suggest flying if you can afford it- I am assuming that is the case as Kauri Cliffs is not a cheap place to stay, but it has a fantatstic golf course!! and is very picturesque. Hire car companies are based in Kerikeri township, about five minutes away from the airport, and I am sure they could deliver a vehicle to you. Kauri Cliffs is about another fourty five minutes from Kerikeri. If you are coming soon bring the sunscreen as we are starting to get sunburnt already

A good day drive once you are there would be to continue on to Kaeo, and take the scenic route back along the coast to Kauri Cliffs again, or go further to Mangonui for the best fish and chips in nz. Have a great trip and I hope the kids behave (just kidding)

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
221 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to kerikeri/kauri cliffs from auckland

I would follow Hokiangafarmers' advice and fly up to Kerikeri. Especially if one of your children is prone to travel sickness. My kids are the same age and if they are not sleeping on the way up to Kerikeri they can tend to get a bit restless.

The drive from Auckland is around three and a half hours, depending upon traffic. The road does have some windy bits, especially around Dome Valley, the Brynderwyn hills and just north of Whangarei around Towai. In fact except for an area just south of Whangarei most of the road is at least a little windy. Hilly but not mountainous.

You will feel a lot more relaxed after a 45 minute flight from Auckland, you fly low enough to see some scenery so you are not missing out.

Then you only have around 45 minutes onto Kauri Cliffs. Make sure you book a child seat with your rental for the three year old. Don't expect one to be available at the time you pick up the car. A booster seat for the six year old would not go a miss either.

You would have more time to check out Kerikeri itself. Pleasant wee town (I have to say that my mother in law lives there) but it is a good spot to take a break. Especially down by the stone store on the river, let the kids feed the ducks.