We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter has me worried. Should I be?

Tennessee
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Winter has me worried. Should I be?

I have posted a few questions concerning my upcoming trip but was hoping I could get a final comment on my plan. We decided to add 7 days on to our honeymoon in Fiji to visit New Zealand but this leaves us hitting Auckland at the end of June. So, considering the tendency for rain, my plan is to use a couple hotels as base camps on either side of Auckland and then let the weather be our guide so to speak. I would hate to plan on stuff for a specific day and have the weather not cooperate. Looking at:

2/3 nights south of Auckland (either at Umoya Lodge or Matahui Lodge)- want to do waitomo caves and possibly coromandel

3 nights in northland (either at Crisdon Castle or Ara Roa)- want to do the forest and hopefully some sand duning and maybe a tour of the bay of islands or cape reinga

In short, does this make sense considering the what the weather will be? Is there something or some place I might be overlooking as a better option considering the winter season?

Thank you guys for all your help. You guys make this site awesome.

Lower Hutt, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter has me worried. Should I be?

It sounds fine. Bay of Islands will be warm. It is known as the Winterless North. Waitomo and Coromandel also great, maybe wettish though. Never heard of that accomodation.

It wont be freezing, more wet - just take a coat. Forget gloves.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter has me worried. Should I be?

In principal your plan seems fine, usually NZ doesn't really lend itself to doing day trips from a base but considering you are on your honeymoon and pretty relaxed about activities you may be fine. Both the lodges you've selected south of Auckland are in lovely positions but your "day trips" will be very full ones if you're to see anything- you really need at least an overnighter on the Coromandel otherwise you'll be driving all day without stopping much. Matahui is "closer" to the Coromandel- but still a good two hour drive from Hahei, Whitianga. Umoya is "closer" to Waitomo but still 2-2.5hrs away.

Crisdon Castle would be quite handy for the BOI, Ara Roa is quite a drive out from Whangarei- OK to stay in the area but a long way to drive to see the forest and especially sand dunning.

3. Re: Winter has me worried. Should I be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:37 am, September 12, 2009