We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in North Island

Cambridge
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in North Island

Hi folks,

Reading some of these forum posts it's beginning to look like I know woefully little about what to do and where to go for our 6 days in North Island.

Our honeymoon is in August, and we stop over in NZ after a week in Fiji and before a week in Bali. We're using a company to plan a generalise itinerary for us, and so far they've recommended the following:

8th Sept - Arrive Auckland 5pm

9th Sept - Auckland

10th/11th Sept - drive to Rotorura and spend 2 nights at Peppers at the Point

12/13th Sept - drive to Hawkes Bay and spend 2 nights at Millar Road

14th Sept - fly back to Auckland from Napier for our mid-afternoon flight

We only got this through today so haven't done a huge amount of research yet, but does this sound okay? Would anyone like to make suggestions for a more enjoyable time or nicer destination?! For example, should we go to Lake Taupo instead of Rotorura? Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do in each location?

We're both chilled people looking to do a mix of sightseeing and some adventure stuff (we're not big hikers though). Importantly, we don't want to be frantically running around fitting things in so a minimum of 2 nights in each location is a must.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Natalie

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in North Island

I think with the limited time that you have that itinerary works very well and both Rotorua and Napier will give you an excellent overview of NZ- Rotorua for the adventure/culture/geothermal stuff and Napier for the chillout- wineries galore, art deco, beautiful scenery and Millar Road- to die for you lucky b*ggers!

Click on my name then contributions then inside pages- you'll fing lots of info on both Rotorua (Taupo on the way through) and Napier(HB) my home town.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in North Island

PS- I'd actually head out of Auckland early on the 9th and stay overnight at Mt Maunganui(2.5hrs south) on the beach (1hr from Rotorua) A lovely scenic drive down on SH2- see this route and Karangahake Gorge on my inside page too .

Cambridge
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in North Island

Hi Zappers - thanks for your reply! It's reassuring to know that this route will give us a good view of the country. We're so excited already!

Unfortunately, it looks like Millar Road may be unavailable (why Turquoise recommended then is a mystery!) so I have personally been looking into alternatives. As a Napier resident, I was hoping you might be able to comment on two possibilities we like:

The Dome (http://www.thedome.co.nz/)

Black Barns (either Black Barn or Black Dog http://www.blackbarn.com/retreats.asp)

We also lurve Cape Kidnapper but that's just out of reach budgetwise!!!

We're really struggling between these two as we like the look of both and yet they're completely different in style and location! Any input would be extremely gratefully received!!

(I also looked at your Info guides - excellent - thanks!)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in North Island

Oh my what a choice! I can see your dilemma. Here's the options, you choose :)

The Dome- to me this will always be the T&G building, an iconic Napier landmark right in the heart of the city and across the road from the Soundshell and the ocean. It sits at the top end corner of the main shopping street and Marine Parade. Very handy for Art Deco walking tours, entertainment and restaurants, boardwalking the length of Marine Parade. Handy to the Napier wineries- a 10 minute drive to Church Rd & Mission Estate. Could be a little noisy with traffic using Marine Parade at night. My girlfriend's parents used to own the T&G bldg a very long time ago before it's many refurbishments, they were the first to actually live in it- before it was offices, I think T&G was an insurance company. (10 min drive from the airport)

Black Barn-located in the same area as Miller Road, very handy to numerous excellent wineries- Craggy Range, my favourite very dramatic scenery, located on the lower slopes of Te Mata Peak- lots of walking tracks, although you'd need to drive up into the park to access them. 5 minutes from Havelock North village, restful and tranquil spot in the country although in could be miserable if it was cold and wet- but hey you're on your honeymoon I'n sure you can find plenty of things to keep you occupied ;) Beautiful beaches of Waimarama & Ocean Beach are 30-45min away along with Te Awanga, Clifton and Cape Kidnappers. (45 min drive from the airport)

Hope that helps.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in North Island

PS- Napier is my home town, I now live in Tauranga.

6. Re: 6 days in North Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, September 20, 2009