We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*****Help with Itinerary for North Island Feb/Mar 2008******

London, UK
4 posts
Save Topic
*****Help with Itinerary for North Island Feb/Mar 2008******

Please can I have some suggestions of what to see/do on North Island (base in Auckland).

I have approx 8 days (2 blocks of 4) spare before flying out of Auckland back the UK.

Any suggestions would be apprieciated.

Thanks in advance.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: *****Help with Itinerary for North Island Feb/Mar 2008******

I would suggest 4 days up North- Whangarei/Tutukaka, Bay of Islands, Far North, Hokianga- do the circuit east and west coast. Then four days south of Auckland- Waitomo-Taupo-Rotorua, Mt Maunganui, perhaps a bit of Coromandel if you don't go so far south.

Northland, NZ
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: *****Help with Itinerary for North Island Feb/Mar 2008******

My suggestion would be:

Day 1 Auckland to Hokianga (total drive 4hrs) stopping on the way at the kauri museum in Matakohe. Follow the road through Dargaville and up to Waipoua Forest and visit Tane Mahuta - NZ's largest Kauri tree.

Day 2 Hokianga to Bay of Islands (1.5 hours drive) but go sand boarding down the giant sand dunes a Omapere before you leave Hokianga. Once in the Bay visit Waitangi Treaty Grounds and take a boat trip our to swim with the dolphins or a fast boat ride out to the Hole in the Rock.

Day 3 Day trip from Paihia to Cape Reinga and 90 Mile Beach

Day 4 Bay of Islands to Auckland via Tutukaka. Explore the Poor Knights Islands marine reserve in Tutukaka (- a 1.5 hour drive from Paihia.) You can go diving, snorkelling or kayaking here with a local charter company. Tutukaka to Auckland 2.5 hour drive via Whangarei.

3. Re: *****Help with Itinerary for North Island Feb/Mar 2008******

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, September 14, 2009