We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay of Isles versus Coromandel

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Bay of Isles versus Coromandel

I really want to be able to visit both beach areas while in NI, but don't have enough time to stay for a few days in each area.

So my question is, which area should I just make as a day trip (from Auckland) and which area is more worth it to actually stay for 2 or 3 days?

I would also like to visit the place called Cathedral Cove as many have mentioned in other posts. How can visit all 3 of these areas in a span of 4 or 5 days? Hope my question makes sense. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated... thank you!!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay of Isles versus Coromandel

Neither of them is really do-able as a day trip.

Both areas would involve at least 7 hours driving during the day if you wanted to do a day trip - not really leaving you enough time to see anything much.

So the answer is, you need to choose one or the other but not both.

Cathedral Cove that yiou mention, is on the Coromandel peninsula, so would form part of your trip if you chose the coromandel.

I personally think the Bay of islands region has got a bit more variety of things to offer (beaches, boat trips, diving, fishing, great restaurants, wineries, historic places, golf etc etc), so my choice would be to head for the Bay of Islands (3.5 hours each way from Auckland CBD)

If you would like any more specific info about what to do in the Bay of islands then just ask !

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
240 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay of Isles versus Coromandel

We had to make that same decision and in the end opted for the Coromandel/Cathedral Cove because it was more conveniently located on the way to other areas of the N. Island; ie down to Rotorua with no back-tracking.

We were able to make another visit to NZ last year and did both Bay of I and Coromandel on that trip, but it was a lot of driving. On the one hand I agree with Andychef that there's a lot to do in Bay of I area and up north, but all in all if you have only so many days the Coromandel might fit better.

Even after our 2 trips of about a month each there are still a lot of places we've had to miss, so we'll just try to get back to NZ again eventually!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay of Isles versus Coromandel

I would choose Coromandel peninsula. Good bush walks,waterfalls,Cathedral cove,hot water beach etc.All within short distance.

The bay of islands has couple of beaches at Paihia but they are not as nice as Coromandel peninsula,and you need to travel more distance again to other areas by boat,car to see the sights.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay of Isles versus Coromandel

"How can visit all 3 of these areas in a span of 4 or 5 days?"-

You can't! If you do you're not going to do any of the places justice! Days trips are also no good, you're just going to get there and it will be time to turn around and head back! There are lots of Coromandel beaches with easy access and also close together.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bay of Isles versus Coromandel

sigh... i was afraid you'd say that, Zappers! ;o)

well from the repies i've gotten so far, it sounds like the Coromandel area might be the better option for me then. thanks, everyone!

6. Re: Bay of Isles versus Coromandel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 13, 2009