We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Hostels with kids

PA
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Family Hostels with kids

It was my dream to visit New Zealand and finally we are coming in April for just 15 days.

We have 2 kids – 6 and 4 and I was thinking to stay in family hostels most time, so that my kids will have other kids to play with. Any recommendations on family hostels? If anyone stayed in them, please let me know which are good and which would we avoid.

Thanks

We will go North first and then toward Hahei, Rotorua.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Hostels with kids

We stayed at holiday parks. They are great for families. One is "Top Ten" but there are others: http://www.top10.co.nz/

They have various styles of cabins, with communal bathroom and kitchen facilities. All of the ones we saw were very clean. For 15 days it might be worth joining one type of holiday park for the 10% off.

The parks usually had playgrounds and pools, often a games room and other activities as well. We stayed at this one over Christmas: http://www.waihibeach.com/ It was a little rainy while we were there, so it was nice it had so much indoor communal space.

Our 3 year old daughter always had playmates as long as we stayed at these parks!

Mortlake, Australia
Level Contributor
298 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Hostels with kids

I would also suggest holiday parks. They are plentiful in NZ and the cabins are usually self contained so you can save some money by cooking your own meals at a time that suits your kids.

If you are going to be in NZ over Easter I would suggest booking ahead. It's also school holiday time in NZ and the parks will be busier then.

We stay at The All Seasons in Rotorua. If you are there any time 9th-19th of April I can guarantee you plenty of playmates for your kids!

PA
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Hostels with kids

Thanks a lot for e-mails - I check their website and I think the holiday park would work great! Any recommendation on a good holiday parks in North Island. We mostly will be North of Auckland, Hahei and Rotorua.

Also what other places would you recommend to visit with kids? Is April raining season?

Thanks for all you help!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Hostels with kids

have a look a the website below, it has accommodation, and things to do and see.

www.aatravel.co.nz

There is plenty to do with kids - especially in Rotorua! :-)

Holiday parks are a great place to stay with kids and there are a lot of them around. As mentioned, Top 10 are the most popular, but there are others also have a look at

www.holidayparks.co.nz

Hokianga North...
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Hostels with kids

There are a number of farmstays around Rotorua, if your children like animals this could be a good option also

6. Re: Family Hostels with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, August 25, 2009