We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

California
Level Contributor
9,618 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

I get conflicting locations when I search for this. I'm looking for a short hike in a tunnel with Glowworms. Some sites indicate it's slightly north of Lawrence on Munro Road, east of SH8. Other sites show it west of SH8 between Milton and Lawrence. I'm assuming I'm getting two answers because it's either end of the tunnel. But if wanting to explore and see glowworms (as the rankers.com review suggests), which end is it?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

I have no first hand knowledge of this, but to make matters more confusing, I did a search and found that the tunnel is also known at the Mt Stuart Tunnel and the Glenore Tunnel.

Assuming these are one and the same, this might help:

milton-district.co.nz/mount-stuart-tunnel/

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

And this might be useful: wonderwalkers.co.nz/default,2441,mt-stuart-p…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

Also found this:

En route to Lawrence, take time to view the Mount Stuart Rail Tunnel (Manuka Gorge). Well sign posted and easily accessible, this track is administered by the Department of Conservation and is part of the old Central Otago, Milton to Roxburgh branch railway line. As an added attraction the hushed darkness of the Tunnel, glimmers with glow-worms!

California
Level Contributor
9,618 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

Okay, I'm pretty sure it's well south of Lawrence, and north of Milton. I originally found this link:

planmyplay.co.nz/play/milton-manuka-gorge-tu…

And I think their directions are wrong. Other links have it south of there and on the other side of SH8. Like this Clutha Country brochure:

…govt.nz/Web%20Pages/…20Brochure.pdf

If we find it, I'll confirm!

California
Level Contributor
9,618 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

>>>Also found this:

En route to Lawrence, take time to view the Mount Stuart Rail Tunnel (Manuka Gorge).<<<

I saw that too and wondered "en route to Lawrence" from where? lol

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

Okay, I consulted my NZ atlas - it's off of SH 8 between Manuka Creek and Glenore, very near Mount Stuart, which is between Milton and Lawrence. It's on the east side of SH 8 as you're traveling north, towards Lawrence.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

Here's a map - enter Lawrence for directions and it shows exactly how to get there.

planmyplay.co.nz/play/milton-manuka-gorge-tu…

enjoy :)

California
Level Contributor
9,618 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

I think planmyplay has it wrong WL. It has it on Munro Rd where other resources have it on Rhodes Rd. Have you been there? I think you mentioned you grew up in the Clutha area.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

I am doomed on this thread, it keeps deleting my posts!

so third time lucky - yes, I have been there loads - the pup loves the wee walk through the bush - but have never entered the tunnel.

if coming from Milton you will pass through Manuka Gorge then the turn-off is on your left - you stay on the side-road a couple of seconds then turn left into the carpark. There is a DOC sign and a picnic shelter.

I wrote all that out earlier than looked for a map and thought oh - I must have the wrong railway tunnel!!

10. Re: Where is Manuka Gorge Tunnel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:38 am, October 03, 2014