We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland - Wellington Overlander Train

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland - Wellington Overlander Train

Hi, my partner and I arrive in Auckland early Feb 07. We intend to spend a couple of days in Auckland before taking the Overlander train down to Wellington and then ferry over to the South Island.

I know! Its a sin not to see more of the North Island but we just don't have time to do all the things we want so rather than miss it all together we thought a train journey would at least let us see some of the fantastic scenery.

So..............has anyone taken the Overlander train and please could you tell me what to expect?? in some detail please.

What's the train like, can we get something to eat on board, can we take our own food and drink on board. Will it be crowded in February? Is there more than one type of fare (I have looked at the website but it doesn't give a great deal away at all)

I would love to hear from anyone who has done this journey. My personal email is: jewels.hamanaptra@ntlworld.com if you can help

Many thanks

Jewels

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland - Wellington Overlander Train

Jewels, I travelled part of trip a few years ago so my memory isn't too hot but basically it was very comfortable. It is a LONG day though and you will wonder how many more stops there will be before you get to the other end. The towns it stops at aren't your normal tourist towns either so you will get to see a little bit of the "real NZ" although some of them aren't that attractive! Through the middle of the island there is some fabulous scenery and the big picture windows are excellent for seeing all this.

There is a licensed buffet carriage where you can get food & drinks etc. I'm not sure about taking food on board but I'd think that if you're discreet about it you could take your own on board with you.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland - Wellington Overlander Train

Thanks Zappers for the info

Jewels

3. Re: Auckland - Wellington Overlander Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, August 12, 2009