We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in NZ

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in NZ

From time to time you will gather that there is some fairly strong sentiment from locals about tourist drivers in New Zealand. The following is a news article from today that might give you some idea about the issues.

Please enjoy your holiday in New Zealand, but make sure that your driving skills aren't on holiday at the same time. Please drive safely in New Zealand for your own sake and the sake of others

Tougher careless driving laws sought

Jun 6, 2006

A Nelson woman is seeking a law change for drivers who kill others on New Zealand roads.

Tameka Davies is angry that a foreign tourist was only fined over the head-on crash that killed her former partner, Kylie Beard.

Six months ago Beard was killed when an American tourist fell asleep at the wheel and crossed the centre line, hitting him head on.

The couple's daughter Tegan, who was also in the car, survived the crash.

The American driver was charged with careless driving causing injury, disqualified from driving and ordered to pay $10,000 in reparation.

Davies says the sentence is too lenient and has started a petition for a change in the existing law.

Currently, the law the maximum penalty for careless driving causing death and careless driving causing injury is the same - either three months in jail or a fine up to $4,500.

Davies says she wants justice for those who may be the victims of these tragic circumstances in the future and is hoping to collect 20,000 signatures and present it to parliament next month.

The Ministry of Transport says it will look at the petition and follow up on its proposals.

Source: One News

Kincumber, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving in NZ

Thanks Nettie. Hopefully some tourists will have in mind that they would not like their (or anyone elses) lives or holidays ruined over a little haste. Obviously not only tourists are a problem, there is always an element that will speed. However anyone driving in an unfamiliar car, under unfamiliar conditions, on roads they do not know, and maybe on the opposite side of the road then at home need to spare a thought.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving in NZ

Tin it is illegal to be naked in public in UK (except for the odd nudist beach ) but during the Naked Bike Ride in London the police turn a blind eye (unlike the kiwi police) as its for a good cause.(!)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving in NZ

Tet........you're a naughty boy! lol

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving in NZ

Thanks, Zappers and englishrose. I suppose Brighton is one of the beaches where naked is allowed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving in NZ

Tin- Brighton is one of the best known nudist beaches if you are ever that way and its warm enough!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving in NZ

Hi ER- BB posted that bike site on his forum and it got cut within 1/2 hour! I told him he was behind the eight ball and that you & me had both volunteered for it in our own country, it was just lucky (oh what a shame) that NZ had already held theirs! You can imagine what his comments were regarding your participation-nasty man! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving in NZ

I saw it Zappers - its his way of getting my attention. (Im quite used to 6 year old boys)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving in NZ

Is that the age group you teach? Or you have a son that age?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Driving in NZ

Thats the age group.

Auckland City
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Driving in NZ

Interesting though - they didn't get the maximum penalty, which (I think) is manslaugher. The penalty they recieved is a much smaller one.

But please, be careful on the roads here - they often aren't to the same standard as you will be used to, and will often have many 'surprises' like corners that keep on going or stock on the road. Also, give yourself a day in the city you arrive in to get over jet lag before you try to drive anywhere - aside from coming from Australia it is a looooonnng trip to NZ!!