We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound Scenic Cruises

Chico, California
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Sound Scenic Cruises

My husband and I will be in NZ in April. During one phase of our trip we'll be staying in Queenstown. We would love to go on one of the cruises of Milford Sound. I know that you take a coach over to the sound, cruise the sound, then return via the same coach. I happen to notice that one company, Real Journeys, also offer flights over to the sound. Has anyone taken this flight? Is it a tiny plane? Is the view great? It's definitely pricey but we're willing to splurge to avoid the 4 hour bus trip each way and to add a little adventure.... Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Susan

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,054 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound Scenic Cruises

The flight is highly recommended and yes it is a small plae!

However the roadis also a hilight with coaches taking 5-6 hours to get there with numerous phot opportunities. Hence the most highly recommended combination is coach in;cruise; and fly out. The added advantage of this is that you GET to Milford Sound no matter the weather, whereas if you book a flightin and the weather is bad you will have missed the coach. If the weatheris too bad to fly you OUT, you simply return by coach.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound Scenic Cruises

Hi,

The flying option should be on everyones "bucket list" the scenery is amazing and it put the fiords of Fiordland into perspective that would take days on the water to achieve. BTW the bus trip is more like a thirteen hour round trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The aircraft is small, otherwise it wouldn't fit between the peaks of the saddles :-)

If you can also take the heli glacier landing option do so. It is a marvelous experience.

Cheers,

Edited: 10:35 pm, February 12, 2013
Chico, California
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Sound Scenic Cruises

Thank you. I didn't see the helicopter option with this particular company. I'll have to look further.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Sound Scenic Cruises

Hi,

Try this mob or when you arrive at the airstrip at Milford there may well be operators "touting" for business.

http://www.airwakatipu.com/

Cheers,

5. Re: Milford Sound Scenic Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 15, 2014