We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
New Zealand
Search

FreemanX.co.nz

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
FreemanX.co.nz

This isn't a question. It's a warning.

Their website is dodgy, I couldn't book a date initially and had to book it open dated. Maybe I'm just stupid but I decided to book with them anyway because I was so desperate to get my skydive done in New Zealand - adventure capital of the world! I made an account and my voucher didn't even show on there. Dodgy again. So I had to ring up and confirm a date. No issues, all good to go for the 1st May.

After another week of not having any details about my skydive, i.e. where to turn up I emailed and finally got a response.

Come the day before the jump, I got a phone call telling me that due to changes in aviation law that they wouldn't be flying for 10 days. Oh? New Zealand law must be settled quickly for neither the skydive agency or FreemanX to inform me before hand when i had booked about 2 weeks prior.

Anyway after talking to a girl from the skydive company she told me I could have a refund since I was leaving in 4 days and there wasn't any chance of going with them. She told me I didn't need to worry and she'd sort it all out. Nice one, thank you!

Disappointed at the poor communication but never mind, I can get the cash and still maybe do it in Australia or the USA if I shift my time around.

Anyway a few days pass and no sign of a refund in my bank account so I contact FreemanX to see what's happening in regards to my refund.

Oh you didn't get to do it? Sorry, you can have another experience instead or another skydive. Just book it with us again.

Sorry, I'm not in New Zealand anymore, I'll need refund as promised thanks.

No, you can have another experience or give it to a friend.

$600 gift to a friend? Wow I'm very kind! Sorry but I need the refund.

No. You didn't take out insurance with us. You can't have one.

Needless to say I'm now contacting VISA and my bank to recover my money and will be contacting fair trading to make a complaint.

Simply don't use this company.

DO NOT USE THEM. Taking money without providing a service as advertised is illegal, basically it amounts to stealing.

I'm not the only person to have suffered from poor communication, awful customer service (I had to ring up for details about where to go due to their lack of correspondence). Once they have your cash they couldn't care less.

Check out www.productreview.com.au/p/freemanx.html which contains comments on the Aussie version.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
32,142 posts
92 reviews
118 helpful votes
1. Re: FreemanX.co.nz

Sorry to hear of your disappointment Phil, hope you get your refund.

But I'm confused - I've never heard of FreemanX before - why did you book through a booking agent when you could have booked directly with any NZ skydive company therefore having a confirmed date, time and place - plus saving yourself considerable money.

Skydive Wanaka - acknowledged as the best skydive experience in NZ -charges just $399 for a jump from 15,000ft. So why did you book a $600 jump? And who were you meant to jump with - which company, where?

Yes, it does sound very dodgy, and so I can't help but wonder at why you used them?

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: FreemanX.co.nz

I think it was closer to $550 actually but I like to round up. It included a photo and cam option and was at 16k feet. It wasn't bad value. Fairly decent, I could have gone for one in Christchurch at 12k for very cheap off bookme.co.nz but I had been recommended that the higher the better, more time to fall!

Yeah I was lured in beause the offer was pretty decent I thought and that the Bay of Islands was a nice place to do it over. In this day and age most companies are fairly decent, been a while since I've ever had massive issues with anything.

Regretting it badly now but I just wanted to let everyone else know of the issues and don't ever take an offer done by them. Oh the company was SkyDive Zone in Paihia (actually KeriKeri airport).

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
73 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: FreemanX.co.nz

In New Zealand, the appropriate agency is the Commerce Commission - check them out on http://www.comcom.govt.nz.

I've done some basic checking - the phone number they give reveals that Westpac hotpoints can be used to buy their vouchers, so they have some credibility, and also tracks to a company called Freemanx Experience NZ Ltd, which is a registered company in New Zealand. You can see information about directors and shareholders at www.companies.govt.nz.

There does seem to have been an Australian company called FreemanX Pty Ltd, but when you track that, a website (https:/…107493318) comes up reporting that they have been de-registered. That led me to the ASIC Gazette indicating this company was deregistered in Australia on 17 June 2011.

United States
Level Contributor
63 posts
4. Re: FreemanX.co.nz

FreemanX has, without a doubt, the worst web site on the Internet, it's incomprehensible. I knew what I was looking to book and still couldn't find the venue on their web site, it's just bizarre.

That said, we have bookings with them for our next trip to NZ, only we didn't use the horrible web site. Reservations made in country, over the telephone. We received the booking as a gift.

Seemingly, so far, no problems with the bookings or requested date / time.

While I'm sorry you're having this problem, their Terms and Conditions are clearly described for the event we're booked for. We did contact them a few months ago, by phone, and they did what we asked.

Cheers,

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: FreemanX.co.nz

I booked a skydiving experience through Freeman X. I booked over the phone and paid by credit card over the phone and had my date set. It was as a 20th birthday present for my daughter. She was due to do the skydive over Parakai in Auckland the day before her birthday. On the Friday before (11th May )the sky dive company phoned me to reschudule as their licence hadnt been renewed and it was due the following week. i was fine with this so we booked for the following Sunday (20th). Again on the Friday prior (18th) the sky dive company phoned and cancelled saying they still hadnt got their licence and tried to reschedule. By now it is 10 days after my daughters birthday so she doesnt want to go, I dont want her to go thinking this is a bad omen with them cancelling all the time. So I emailed the skydiving company requesting my money back. He replied saying he doesnt refund as he hasnt been paid yet through Freeman X but if I contacted them I woudl get my money refunded. So i phoned Freeman X. Refused point blank to give a refund. Said I have to choose another activity to do to the same value. We dont even want to do anything anymore. This is false advertising. They booked and took my money knowing full well THEY DIDNT HAVE A LICENCE TO SKY DIVE!! Dont use this company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIpped off

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
225 reviews
194 helpful votes
6. Re: FreemanX.co.nz

Phil and Krista as you have both paid by credit card lodge an action with your credit card company re non performance or whatever the credit card company's call it. It is probably the easiest and quickest way of getting your monies back. Phil as you are out of the country your remedies are somewhat reduced but should Krista wish she/he has legal redress through the courts.

Global Travel I hope that any monies you paid were by credit card otherwise if this company is dodgy then chances of recovery if they non perform could be difficult.

Let us know how you get on.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
225 reviews
194 helpful votes
7. Re: FreemanX.co.nz

Having had a look at their website they appear to be an online retailer of vouchers for extreme sports. They take money for vouchers obviously take a cut and pass on monies to third parties.

Under NZ Commerce law they are designated as retailers and if the goods they have sold or are defective then the customer is entitled to a refund.

It has been suggested that earlier that one contacts the Commerce Commission and details were provided. I would encourage the two complainants to do that in addition to seeking redress through their credit card company. If the cOmmerce Commision find that there has been a breach of the NZ Contracts Act they can prosecute the offender.

At this juncture we only have the complainants word as to what happened and in the full light of day the situation may not be as black and white as has been painted. Whether or not the complainants have any validity in their arguement will depend upon the outcome of any Commerce Commission enquiry and the response by the Credit Card companies.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: FreemanX.co.nz

Hi there, I logged a credit dispute with my bank as I paid this with my credit card. Within a day I had the amount credited back into my bank account which is excellent. So Phil if you paid by credit card, talk to your bank about getting this reembursed.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
9. Re: FreemanX.co.nz

Yep I just thought I'd mention that I've logged a chargeback with my bank (NAB).

I did send an email off to the Commerce Commission (if I recall correctly) but haven't heard anything back since.

It's been about 3-4 weeks since I made the claim but I've rung around a little more today and hopefully will have a resolution soon. It's not the only thing I've been jerked around on recently but people do love to take money and not provide the correct service or even a service!

It just cheeses me off. Down to $30 to live off in Australia now for 9 days! Anyone got any bread? :)

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: FreemanX.co.nz

FreemanX sold us a voucher for an activity that wasn't available when we went to book it (during the period of time the voucher covered). The sailing trip we booked was unavailable for several months. They have refused to refund us and insist we take an alternative voucher or wait to use the voucher months later. My Wife is pregnant and this isn't practical. Check the Consumer Guarantees Act and the Fair Trading Act. You can't unreasonably withhold a refund. Don't use FreemanX, just approach the company directly.