We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Can anyone suggest a travel insurance company who has a higher than normal rental vehicle excess cover - possibly up to AUD$4k-$5k.

The company we are hiring a camper from has an excess of NZD$5000.

Cheers.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
226 reviews
1. Re: Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Check out 1 cover. For NZ issued policies they have a $NZ5000 excess cover on rental vehicles. 1 cover is an Aussie based insurance company Mondial.

Edited: 3:21 pm, February 24, 2012
Oamaru, New Zealand
4 posts
2. Re: Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Hi There,

Most campervan companies have an extra fee you can pay per day to reduce your excess down to a reasonable amount.... Just ask the one you have booked with. If they cannnot help then maybe change to another one if you can. I can help with other suggestions if you wish. Just give me details on what you would like, price, etc... have fun travelling.....

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Thanks Patrick, but the reason I ask is specifically to avoid having to pay the per day cost to reduce the excess to $0. Motorhome insurance can cost up to $40 a day I believe, and for an extended holiday, that can work out very expensive. Travel insurance should be less than $200.

Cheers.

Edited: 11:37 pm, February 24, 2012
Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Thanks to beanb, 1 Cover insurance cover the rental vehicle excess up to $5000 should you have an accident.

Thank you to you both for your input.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Just for others if they are interested, after speaking to a few travel insurance companies, they don't actually cover the basic accidents that most people claim for. Thanks to the information supplied by company I am using, they suggested asking whether the rental vehicle excess refund from an external travel insurance policy covers the most common incidents like overhead damage, windscreen damage or tyre damage -- the answer was simply no.

I'm pretty sure I would rather pay the extra AUD$700 approx. for complete piece of mind. Lot cheaper than the $5000 excess.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
226 reviews
6. Re: Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Natmaz you have me confused. If your travel insurance will cover the excess payable on your car why would you want to pay the extra "$A700" for the hire excess reduction. For info $A700 equates to $NZ1000

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Gosh, that is a tough one. That hire excess reduction is very steep, but I know what you mean about piece of mind.

Travel Insurance or not, I always pay the full excess reduction when hiring a car. I love that I can jump in the car and not worry about inspecting it for every little scratch etc and I know I'm covering every event that can go wrong (as you say, not all Travel insurance companies do this).

In saying all that, I always book cars through cheaper rental companies (Apex etc) where the excess is not too bad. Au$700 is a lot!

Have you considered pricing up a rental car/motel holiday as apposed to the campervan option? IMO, the motel option is much more comfortable and often much cheaper.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Beanb41, I rang and spoke to the travel insurance companies, and they specifically said, the excess does not cover things like 'overhead damage, windscreen damage or tyres/wheels', and no doubt other things when you probe a bit further. I actually said to them 'so what do you cover'? And she couldn't actually tell me. She said to read the Ts & Cs.

Overhead damage is possibly the most reported damage done to motorhomes, and with the high rate of uninsured drivers in NZ, I don't want to be chasing anyone from another country when they've been in the wrong.

Unless someone can advise an insurer whose rental vehicle excess covers EVERYTHING, then I don't mind paying the money. Like OskarNZ said, its nice having that piece of mind that you can get in, and drive away, knowing that you are completely covered.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

PS. Oskar, we like the fact that we don't have to pack and unpack everyday, and that we can stop and have a cuppa at the million dollar views, as opposed to inside a hotel room. I do agree that it may not be the cheapest option, but to us, it's about the experiences and the people we will meet along the way, rather than the dollars. But thanks anyway.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Travel Insurance Re: Rental Vehicle Excess up to $4000-$5000

Fair enough. The not having to pack and unpack is a definite bonus. Enjoy your trip :-)